We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford...
reviews: 405
Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

would like to know if there are any beaches in the area that are known for shelling.

Thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 23
1. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

It's not going to be like Sanibel Island. But the less traveled beaches here are best. Caladesi Island, and Egmont Key are accessable by ferry only, so they don't get that picked over, and as far as I know, will probably be the best in the area.

Milford...
2. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

Thanks. I know about Sanibel, but do not plan to go that far south!!!

Wemo
reviews: 37
3. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

Caladesi Island in Dunedin is GREAT!!!!! Do yourself a favor- forget the ferry and rent a kayak on the Dunedin causeway and paddle over

SPB, FL
Destination Expert
for Saint Pete Beach, St. Petersburg
4. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

Visit Shell Island, accessible from Merry Pier in Pass-a-Grille, in the southernmost part of St Pete Beach. We nearly always find a good variety there.

www.shellkeyshuttle.com

Fort Desoto and Egmont Key often have a lot of shells, too, especially sand dollars. Shelling is so dependent on winds, tides, etc., that it is impossible to * guarantee* a particular spot. The fun is in the hunt! :-)

Milford...
5. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

Caladesi is a great place (went there a couple years ago)...was by myself so I did opt for the ferry. Had I been with another person the kayak would have been the option.

will have to try to check out Shell Island or Egmont Key....again thanks for the help!!!

Edited: 7:30 am, March 06, 2013
6. Re: Great Shelling in Tampa/St. Petersburg area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 08, 2014