We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where the locals eat?

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
branchburg,nj
where the locals eat?

Looking for places to eat along the beaches of Indian Shores and St. Pete beach or around the area for where the good food is not the tourist food? Any help?

indiana
1. Re: where the locals eat?

Woody's in St. Pete Beach has outstanding burgers, peel and eat shrimp, grouper. Very casual....waterfront dining and often times they have one man bands. Also, the Wharf is a little further south on Gulf Blvd (almost into pass-a-grille). I have been going to St. Pete a few times a year and these are 2 places I stop at every time.

Illinois
reviews: 181
2. Re: where the locals eat?

I don't know if these are "tourist food" but we had great meals at every restaurant we ate at in the area. Loved Crabby Bill's-the owner/manager? sang Happy Birthday to my daughter-, the Conch Republic was great (I think that is in Reddington Beach) and had a great meal at the Friendly Fisherman at John's Pass. Also ate lunch twice at DeLosa's Pizza at John's Pass-awesome garlic rolls! For dessert go to Twistee Treat-you can't miss it, it's the ice cream cone shaped building!-highly recommend the White Russian ice cream!

Treasure Island
3. Re: where the locals eat?

Hi! Starting on the north end moving south.

Clearwater Bch=Renos- (Italian),Beachcomber ($$ ambiance).

SandKey=Columbia (Beautiful inside and out-one of my favorites).

The Skinny Rooster-great breakfast/ambiance.

Brewmaster Steak House-just always a good choice.

Indian Shores=Tacky Turtle-don't be afraid of the appearance-great place to hit on the way to the beach-everything is homemade. Family-owned.

Indian Rocks= T.J.'s- family owned, he's in the kitchen everyday, food takes a little longer to prepare but it's well worth it.

Redington Shores= Friendly Tavern.This is a bar/rest. Karaoke 7 nights. Despite the apperance the food is good and they have all-you-can-eat specials everynight (prime rib, crab legs) that are affordable.

Redington Bch= The Frog Pond. This place is both fun to eat at and good. It's for the early risers though- they close @2pm.

Another amazing place on Redington that easily gets passed by is Sweet Sage Cafe'. Its small with a tea room and a little courtyard. Everthing is homemade to order and organic. It's nice to sit and read under the canopy of trees and flowers out of earshot of Gulf Blvd. This place also closes around 3pm. It's right south of the Conch Republic-which is good too.

Maderia Beach (Tom Stuert Causeway)=Daquiri Deck-serves sandwhiches and dinners until midnight. This is a local hang with entertainment everynight. The food is good and one of the few places that serve past 10p.

Dockside Daves=freshest grouper on the beach. You can sit out back and watch the fishing boats come in.

Thai Am II= Just at the beginning of John's Pass. Great sushi bar-outside deck-daily specials-Best Thai on the beach.

JohnsPass=Courtyard Cafe-coffee/deli/ice cream.

Delosa's is the best pizza(and garlic knots!)

The Hut is neat, but...

Gators (across from the Pass)=A great place to hang out, watch the game upstairs, relax and watch some local mucians, but eat before you go.

Treasure Isl=V.I.P. is THE place to get mexican and margaritas!

The plaza that surrounds Central Ave in "downtown TI" has several resteraunts and bars. Foxxys Cafe is open till 3a on Fri and Sat. Most everything else is done @11, except the bars. We locals call this area T-bor- b/c it's got everything.

Sloppy Joe's is across the street-it's neat to visit-but it is a tourist trap.

Blind Pass Rd= (this is still Gulf Blvd heading south in St.Pete)

Carino's-Northern Italian-Amazing. The last time I was there I sat in the piano bar (with bartender Dave) and asked that the chef make what he wanted. It was a masterpiece. worth every penny.

Vito and Micheals=Gourmet Pizza/pasta. Local favorite. open till 3am. Can never go wrong.

St. Pete Beach= Grace O'Mallys- great people-Irish of-course.

Sila's Steakhouse=This is a very interesting place that boasts an in-house ghost. I like the food, I've just had some problems with the service. In this same plaza is a quaint little cafe'/wine place too.

49th street bar=hiding beside the mobile station. A little rough around the edges, but most of the local hangs are.

The Undertow= Great hang on the beach.

Some chains that aren't on the beach--

Bonefish Grille-partnership with Outbacks and Carrabba's.

Spoto's steakhouse on park st.

Shells is not always consistant-stick to the one on Redington Bch (by the Friendly Tavern).

Downtown St. Pete has The Garden-Moon Under Water-and just about anything within walking distance.

go to WeeklyPlanet.com it's the local weekly update guide that has everything in it. It'll give you more links to check out.

Good Luck!

home
reviews: 1
4. Re: where the locals eat?

Staying at BW Beachfront Resort. Doesn't look like there are any places for breakfast nearby. Will we be able to walk somewhere or do we have to drive everyday? Cindy

reviews: 4
5. Re: where the locals eat?

Can't go wrong with Caddys in Sunset beach In T.I. and the local Tiki bar across the street were great. Also Woodys In St. Pete Beach. Great bar food, Burgers etc. The grouper was great at Caddys. Skip the Shells restaurant chains we went to one in St Pete Beach. Six of us went and no one liked what they ordered. The waiter spent more time trying to impress us with his "knowledge" of food & drinks. If he would of shut up and served us he would have gotten a better tip.

Deano in WI

NY
reviews: 4
6. Re: where the locals eat?

looks like you went a long time ago but if anyone else reads this - you must go to Villa Gallace in Indian shores. It is absolutely fantastic italian food, Owner is great and greats you at the door. Went back there several times during our last stay. A must

Forget the Salt Rock Grill. It's overpriced and overrated.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
reviews: 370
7. Re: where the locals eat?

we liked leverrocks seafood on the water.

orlando burb
reviews: 25
8. Re: where the locals eat?

ted peters smoked fish on pasadena ave in south pasadena is good

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
9. Re: where the locals eat?

What local goes to Woody's ? Philthy phil's is one block north facing the water , If you can get a seat . Woody's is for tourist's. Philthy's food is way better, and if you like grouper , Dave ALWAY'S gets the best and freshest . Someone also mentioned 49 th street . Sorry...it's 46 South beach on 46 beach , haven't been there in a while , but you've alway's been able to get a pound of steamed shrimp for about 6 dollars . The clientel can sometimes be described as colorful , but safe .

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
10. Re: where the locals eat?

BBq Man : Sorry to tell you Leverock's awaits the wrecking ball . I worked there for several years . I think they gave it a good effort to try and hang in there . I know a few years ago we had a meeting there that the company was not selling out to go condo . Another victim of property value , insurance , etc. I'll kind of miss the place, although as a line cook there, we got absolutely CRUSHED every night during " season ".