We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George Island

Which St. George Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
St George Island

On our way to St George Island! Oh we can't get there fast enough....

12 replies to this topic
Atlanta
1. Re: St George Island

Good for you! Please write a trip report after you visit, one with lots of detail. We would all love to read it -- next best thing to being there.

Edited: 1:39 pm, September 07, 2013
reviews: 1
2. Re: St George Island

Will do, we are just getting ready to eat at the Parrot!

Madison, WI
reviews: 6
3. Re: St George Island

Heading down in 3 days! I am ready to explode with excitement.

Nashville TN USA
4. Re: St George Island

we were there too on Saturday night!. Today, Monday, unable to stay on beach due to biting flies, two different kinds. Some big horse flies and some smaller biting flies. Research tells me it is due to wind direction. Hope the wind changes direction soon ;o)

Atlanta
5. Re: St George Island

MadisonIke, I am stuck here in Atlanta with no plans for a SGI vacation. I am very envious of you. Please write a trip report when you return (if you feel like writing when you're there -- you know, little daily briefings -- that would be good too.) There is no such thing as too many details. Thank you.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 58
6. Re: St George Island

Me too. First time in 25 years we haven't gone. Family issues. Love to read the trip reports as therapy

Monteagle, Tennessee
reviews: 33
7. Re: St George Island

We are here now after 2 years. Family death has kept us away. As usual we are having a wonderful time just after one day!! Went to the Pig for groceries this morning, then stopped for shrimp and crabcakes from the trailer. Weather is great, not to hot, not too cool, just right. Ate lunch at the Seafood Grill in Aplach, one of our favs.

Atlanta
8. Re: St George Island

Please keep us posted! Thanks.

Monteagle, Tennessee
reviews: 33
9. Re: St George Island

Back from our 2 week vacation at SGI. First new places we ate at: AJ's in Applach, wonderful and I mean wonderful fried chicken. Coleslaw was the best I have had since grandma. My husband said the mac and cheese was like his mother's. The waitress was dressed as a cat and was very friendly and attentive to detail. I am an ice tea freak and they passed my tea test with flying colors.....awesome tea. This is in an older neighborhood of Applach and a little run down. But the place was clean, you could tell that they cared about their customers. I would certainly recommend AJ's to anyone who wants to dine out of the normal seafood resturants. Another new place we tried was The Beach Pit on SGI. We went back to eat there twice because we loved their fried Grouper. The rest of the menu is the same as everyone else but for some reason the Grouper was great. We also went on our first fishing expedition. We use Brownie from Bay City Lodge as our guide. We did very well indeed. I caught a huge Black Drum, my sisterinlaw caught a very nice Spanish Mackeral and my husband caught Whiting and speckled trout. All in all we caught about 80 lbs of fish. The camp cleaned and filet the fish and had them waiting for us when we came back later that evening for dinner. BTW the Bay City Lodge resturant is excellent. I love their stuffed grilled flounder. The BEST!

Of course we went to the state park and saw bald eagles and on the beach were many live sand dollars. We didn't go in the water because it was just a little too cold for my taste. We did sit on the beach and just watched the waves go back and forth.

A new adventure we went on was to the World War II museum in Carabella. It was a rainy day so we just decided to do something different and we were glad we did. What a nice museum! It is ran by seniors and they had many stories to tell. We spent about 2 hours there and was glad we did.

There was quite a bit of wind while we were there and we had one day of rain and a large storm one evening. The rest of the time was cool but beautiful. The seas were quite rough for 4 or 5 days. But mostly the sea was calm and the water was beautiful. See you next year SGI.

Atlanta
10. Re: St George Island

Thanks so much for the trip report! Sounds like you had a great time. Where did you stay?

I don't remember ever seeing AJ's or Bay City Lodge restaurant, but it's good to know of new places to try.

I was at SGI exactly one year ago and it was too cool to do beach/ water activities, except for walking the dogs on the beach. I loved it but I think I would prefer slightly warmer weather.

Reply to: St George Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island