We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from Atlanta

Which St. George Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Directions from Atlanta

Hi,

I'll be visiting St. George Island for the first time in August.

Hoping someone will have good directions from Atlanta.

Winston, GA
reviews: 35
1. Re: Directions from Atlanta

Wrestling with that one myself. The GPS (TomTom) is reading more than eight hours, Google is giving me a little more than six.

The GPS is routing me through Atlanta (live west of the city, west of Six Flags), to I-75 and has me winding south from there. Google wants me to take Highway 27/Martha Berry Highway south, which looks like more of a straight shot.

From where I am, I can hop on Highway 5 (there's a Highway 5 exit on I-20) and head west to Whitesburg, then pick up Highway 27 and head south.

Two hours is an awful big discrepancy. I'm not sure why the GPS, which never leads me wrong, is trying to do so now, or if it knows something Google doesn't (which, admittedly, seems unlikely -- Google is, after all, in the business of categorizing and organizing information).

Any tips, tricks or shortcuts would be much appreciated. We're traveling with a 2-year-old, so we're sorta' eager to make good time -- the less we're trapped in the minivan with her, the better.

Georgia
2. Re: Directions from Atlanta

I'll be traveling with a 2 year old also. Like you, I need short cuts.

Georgia
reviews: 46
3. Re: Directions from Atlanta

Go south on I-75 to Tifton. Take exit 62, highway 319. It's a straight shot to SGI.

Georgia
4. Re: Directions from Atlanta

Thank you!

5. Re: Directions from Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 16, 2011
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island