We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 9
Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Hello St. Augustine forum!!

I'm torn! I'm planning a mother-daughter trip with my mom in September! Both my mom and I have never been to Seattle or Florida! I'm trying to plan a trip since she's getting older and you never know just how long you have left together! She lives in Arizona and I only get to see her about 1 time a year. She is thankfully healthy at this time. She's active and has no health problems that I know of. She's 72 ( but looks like she's 60) and I'm 43.

I have many questions but my main concern would be weather. I know that no one can predict tropical storms or hurricanes (i'd make sure everything is fully refundable).

Typically what would our chances be in the beginning of Sept? Thinking about the 10th through the 17th. Is the weather still warm enough to wear bikinis and flip-flops? Ocean water warm enough to swim in?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Thank you :)

23 replies to this topic
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
1. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

No one can predict the potential of a hurricane in Florida. Most of us just live as if there won't be one, with our hurricane kits packed and stuffed in a closet. I make vacation plans along both the Atlantic and Gulf coast all through hurricane season without giving the potential of a hurricane any thought. You make your plans and take your chances in Florida, but the vast majority of tourists experience no cancellations.

As for weather....it will absolutely be warm enough for bikinis and flip-flops. It will be warm enough for those at least one month later. It will still be hot in Florida in early September.

I do not know how you would make a decision between these two locations. You need some primary criteria. Is beach time more important to you than scenic mountain views? Do you prefer grouper to salmon? Do you want crisp, clean air kissed with the scent of rain, or satin smooth air with a hint of exotic and mysterious scents? Do you want the sophistication of a big city like Seattle or the vibe of a year-round tourist destination in the country's oldest city in St .Augustine.

I love both St. Augustine and Seattle, and both of these cities are lovely in September. If your mother spends the summer in Arizona, she might enjoy the refreshing climate of Seattle more than the humid heat of St. Augustine. Regardless of which destination you select you probably will not make a mistake. Both locations are charming.

We spend most of our year in Florida, but escape to the Seattle area for the warmest weeks each year. We have the best of both worlds. I would hate to only be able to choose one.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
2. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Here's last year's September temperatures and rainfall for Jacksonville:

www.srh.noaa.gov/jax/data.php…

While it's less hot by the end of the month, it's pretty much summer steam bath. Beach water temperatures will be at their maximum for the year, about 83º.

sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/coastal_wat…

The likelihood of a hurricane at St. Augustine is low, something like half what it would be in Miami. The more likely problem is a day or two of wet, blustery weather. A hurricane well offshore can produce large swells, which make surfers happy.

While the town has a long and interesting history of colonial rivalry between Spain and England (Francis Drake visited, as did South Carolinians who were bent on capturing people to enslave), it never amounted to much, apart from the massive fort, which went on to serve as a prison during the second Seminole war. St. Augustine owes much of its present appearance to the arrival of Henry Flagler's railroad and his huge concrete hotels and, to go with them, two Protestant churches and a major remodeling of the Cathedral after a serious fire.

As a former Portland resident, I'd note that September in the Northwest is possibly the worst month for lawns and gardens because of the long summer drought and, anyway, people get out of town during the summer.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 65
3. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

September is also low season for Florida (just don't come September 13-15 as st. augustine will be a madhouse) so you should be able to get some good deals on lodging.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 9
4. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Busy-retired: I really don't know how I'm going to make up my mind. Both locations have so much to offer. I think I'm leaning more towards Florida just because my mom really loves the beach. (We did live in Brownsville, TX and California for a few years each) If we choose Florida we'd probably split the time and go between St. Augustine and Jacksonville.

BlueRusso: Thanks for those links! I'm also happy to hear the water temp would be around 83. Sounds nice! Since you're a former Portland resident, it does sound like September would be dry in Seattle! Which now makes me waffle again! LOL

CapnConrad: Is there something special going on the 13th - 15th in St. Augustine?

Hoping to get a beachfront room with a balcony. Any recommendations? Feel free to throw in any other advice!

Thank you ALL for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it!! :)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
5. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Crafty, I am not sure why you would spend part of your time in Jacksonville. We lived there for five years. There is nothing of interest to tourists except beaches, and when we lived there we always went to the beach in St Augustine. We usually went there for special dinners as well.

North of Jacksonville we liked Fernandino Beach, but it isn't really spectacular. Maybe I am beach disillusioned. I much prefer the gulf side beaches to most Atlantic beaches in Florida, with the exception of St. Augustine, which we really like.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
6. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

I spent today on a beach with my grandchildren on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle. It's a beautiful beach, but everyone had to wear shoes and jackets. There are, however, lots of beach influences including spectacular seafood.

A great side trip from Seattle is Vancouver Island BC. You can catch a ferry to the island, visit Victoria, tour Butchart Gardens and pretend you are in England for a couple of days. If you are looking for a side trip I would do Victoria any day over Jacksonville.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
7. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Jacksonville's beaches have become lively, but they're at a disadvantage to St. Augustine because salt marshes and the tea-colored St. Johns River make for somewhat murky water. Both beaches are wide due to the high tidal range and being made of fine sand. They're very well suited to walking, running, or bicycles.

In Seattle, September is not as dry as July and August, but it's still a sunny month. The wetness gets going in October and can be nonstop in November.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Jacksonville is my hometown and I would do Victoria any day over Jacksonville.

That said, how far is it from Seattle to Victoria (I have only gone from Vancouver)?

Edited: 10:45 pm, July 01, 2013
Atlanta
reviews: 71
9. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

There is a book festival Sept 13-15. Is that a big event?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
10. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

In Seattle? I'm not sure.

Reply to: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted