We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
reviews: 32
Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

We will be visiting St. Augustine in August and staying in a condo. Our first trip to this particular area of Florida so we are so excited!

I would like to grocery shop and need to purchase gluten-free foods for my youngest daughter. Whenever I googled gluten-free groceries I can't find much. Does anyone know if grocery stores carry gluten-free products? If you don't know about gf products, what are the grocery stores names in town? (Maybe I could google or call them and find out more about them.)

My next question is are there lifeguards posted all along beaches or is that something reserved for public beach areas? My husband would love to learn to surf and I am worry wart (okay, I am a chicken when it comes to thrill anything...there, I can admit it!) So I'm concerned about him surfing where there are potential hazzards or no lifeguards etc. The condo we are renting is on Crescent Beach if that helps any.

Thanks for any advice given!

Pinellas Park...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Can't comment on the lifeguard question, but for gluten free grocery you might try Diane's Natural Market - three locations surrounding (but not in) Crescent Beach. Hope this helps :)

http://www.dianesnaturalfoods.com/locations/

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
2. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

The county's beach safety web page annoyingly doesn't specify lifeguard locations.

…st-johns.fl.us/MarineRescue/….UcSl-2TF3no

There's sure to be lifeguards at the main Crescent Beach access point (parking lot and vehicle ramp onto the beach). I'm sure a local resident will have details.

Your husband might look into surfing lessons. Someone on the forum should have experience. It doesn't matter that lessons normally are for kids. A good instructor can be a lot of help. I don't know who to go to, but there's apparently some reviews at TripAdvisor and several listings with a Google search. The website of Surf Station is useful for watching beach conditions (it's a gas station that slowly morphed into a surf shop at the entrance to Anastasia State Park).

For an orientation to surfing via book, this one is unique, using excellent line drawings to do much of the work.

www.mhprofessional.com/product.php…

I don't look for gluten-free items, but there should be a decent selection at the Publix supermarket.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Publix is indeed where you probably want to go. This link gives a good listing of their gluten free products:

publix.com/managed_pdfs/GlutenFree10117.1083…

This one will be about 4 miles north of you:

Publix Super Market at Anastasia Plaza

1033 A1A Beach Blvd, St Augustine, FL ‎

Anastasia Plaza

(904) 461-0231 ‎ · publix.com

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 65
4. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

There is also 'The Pit' on A1A and A street which is a block from the beach, they rent boards and give lessons. For Gluten free, check out the Discount grocery store which specializes in out of date and damaged food, some still as good as ever some on the rancid side, but it's near the SA Beach PD station on the other side of the road , next to a do it yourself car wash. They have a lot of gluten free stuff, snacks and Bob's mixes.

St. Augustine, FL
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 80
5. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

There is a Surf Station location at Crescent Beach also - where you can rent surfboards and inquire about lessons. Publix is your best bet - there is also a Winn Dixie near the Publix - so you have a couple of choices.

Winter Haven...
6. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Don't anything about this place but I go by it all the time. Right there in Crescent Beach:

http://www.surf-station.com/

Maybe you can check out your husband's surfing from the front room or the second floor at South Beach Grill.

Edited: 5:32 pm, June 22, 2013
Saint Augustine...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Diane's, Publix, and Winn-Dixie all carry GF products. Each Publix is a little different, but the best one is probably on 16 (it's the newest). Meanwhile, Winn-Dixie has the best deals.

Winter Haven...
8. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Ben -

You are right in that all Publix stores will be a little different but the one you reference is 25 miles away. The one 4 miles north is older but it was refurbished a couple years ago and has an excellent assortment - it is right in the middle of "condo alley" and is where everybody goes to stock up. They are used to a diverse crowd and as OfficeMax pointed out, Winn Dixie is right across the street.

Minnesota
reviews: 32
9. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Thank you everyone for your input! We were concerned that we'd have to go to Jacksonville for gluten-free food so we will definitely check out Publix and Diane's. From the looks of their websites they may be spot on for our needs.

And thank you for the recommendation of the Surf Station.

This is why I love tripadvsor....people on here have never failed me yet!!

Saint Augustine...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Gluten Free Groceries & Lifeguards ???

Sorry, missed the "Crescent Beach" part of the OP. It's more like 15 miles, and just off 95, but for Crescent Beach the Publix in SAB would probably be best.