We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a day...

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 36
Spending a day...

OK, so last March when in Orlando on vacation we took a trip to St Augustine. Did a nice boat trip into the bay and wandered around the shops.

We loved it, and have decided this August to pay another, longer visit.

I would be obliged by anyone's ideas or opinions on -

Town tours (bus or horse and cart)

Ghost Tour

Places to eat for dinner in the evening

Any other things we should consider?

thanks.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 65
1. Re: Spending a day...

Try either one of the pedicabs or a Segway tour for something different. Ghost tour - Try the Sheriff's ghost walk. He's unique among tour guides in that he does it himself and he's been doing it longer than anyone, so you won't just get some college kid....There are lots of other tours these days too.....foodie tours, beer tours etc. For dining, if you want something great a bit further afield, try the Purple Onion on Anastasia! But it all depends on your tastes!

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 78
2. Re: Spending a day...

Take a trolley tour. By the time you go all the way around once, you will know what you want to go back and see more of.

http://www.trolleytours.com/st-augustine/

Have lunch in the deep end of the swimming pool at Café Alcazar, Cafe Alcazar is in the far back, last portion of the complex that houses the Flaggler Museum. The pool was part of the sporting complex of the historic Flaggler Hotel that drew the cream of society in the late 1800s. (You won't need your bathing suit.)

It's best to make a reservation. 904-825-9948

TripAdvisor reviews: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34599-d39…

Spirit

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
reviews: 12
3. Re: Spending a day...

Hi, it's good to see another Scot who has discovered St Augustine!

I second the suggestion of the trolley tour as a great way to see the layout of the town and to decide what you want to go back to see by yourselves. And it's less tiring than walking around everywhere in the heat.

The tour of Flagler College is interesting - the Tiffany glass is stunning. One thing that may interest you, on the college stairs there are two carved wooden statues - one is Elizabeth I and the other is Mary Queen of Scots. When I asked why they were there no-one seemed to know, and in fact our tour guide didn't know the second statue was Mary. Curious!

The Lightner Museum is across the street from Flagler College and is well worth seeing - the Lightner complex is also where the Café Alcazar is situated.

The Castillo di San Marcos is a must and, if you have time, you could also visit Fort Matanzas which is accessed from the south of Anastasia Island just off A1A - the little fort is reached by boat and is free.

I like the Creekside Dinery as it's a little bit different:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g34599-d…

http://www.creeksidedinery.com/

Or, on the island, Saltwater Cowboys:

http://www.saltwatercowboys.com/

If you can be there at the right time, you can get great views of the sunset over the salt marsh from Saltwater Cowboys.

Fairfield County...
reviews: 101
4. Re: Spending a day...

Visit the St. Augustine Lighthouse. It's a long climb to get to the top, but the view is amazing. Also, there are two interesting rooms at the base of the tower with equipment used by the lighthouse keeper.

I second the recommendation to visit Castillo San Marco; you'll be surprised by the history of the city.

For dinner, try the Tasting Room on Cuna Street offers amazing Spanish cuisine and has live music. You can sit outdoors in the courtyard.

Scotland
reviews: 36
5. Re: Spending a day...

thanks for all the replies! very helpful.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 65
6. Re: Spending a day...

No worries, please post a trip report to this thread after your vacation!

7. Re: Spending a day...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 09, 2014