We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in historic area

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
louisiana
reviews: 25
Parking in historic area

I suffer from COPD and can't do a lot of walking.

We'd like to see some of St. Augustine's historic sites like the forts, lighthouse, etc.

Is parking at or near these sites readily available or is a lot of walking required?

BTW, planing our visit in late April-early May.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 24
1. Re: Parking in historic area

Yes, there is good parking, but the Castillo lot, in particular, is small and frequently gets filled. If you have a disabled parking placard from another state, it will be honored in Florida (and every other state as well).

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 78
2. Re: Parking in historic area

Unfortunately, and I know it is hard to believe, but you won't find many handicapped parking spaces on Old City streets.

I would advise perhaps renting a wheel chair when you arrive or just plan on totally riding the trolley and getting off at the sites you want to see. You can park free at the trolley parking lot.

louisiana
reviews: 25
3. Re: Parking in historic area

ThDanks for your reply--We did this in Memphis last Fall and it worked out OK

Does the trolley cover most of the historic area?

Edited: 2:32 pm, November 15, 2012
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
4. Re: Parking in historic area

"Unfortunately, and I know it is hard to believe, but you won't find many handicapped parking spaces on Old City streets."

True, but you can park at any city parking meter (e.g. along King & Cathedral Streets), hang your placard on the mirror and not deposit any money in the meter. Yes, this is legal.

"Does the trolley cover most of the historic area?"

Yes, and that is a perfect way to get around.

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 78
5. Re: Parking in historic area

Thanks, Orlando, NEVER knew that about the handicapped parking spaces....

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
6. Re: Parking in historic area

LN,

I heard a rumor to that effect. Went in to the police station in St. Augustine Beach and they confirmed it. However, getting a parking place along along King & Cathedral Streets is not that easy either.

Union, Oregon
reviews: 262
7. Re: Parking in historic area

We parked at the Castillo lot (old fort) and it was very close to everything. Just get there early.

Pompano Beach...
8. Re: Parking in historic area

DaBride- was there a charge to park at the Castillo lot?

we parked in the parking garage and it was $10. Also seen a private lot of $5 for the day. Just wanted to add that St Augustine is great, can't wait to go back and see all of the things we missed. So much to see and do!

jljnla - I do not think that the lighthouse and fort are not on the trolley tour but definetly do it...you can get off and on all day...and the info given about the history of the city is really informative.

Union, Oregon
reviews: 262
9. Re: Parking in historic area

Yes it had parking meters but is so close to the historic part of town. Not far at all to walk. It was worth it to us as it was very hot that day.

Edited: 1:43 pm, November 18, 2012
Sudbury...
reviews: 57
10. Re: Parking in historic area

The lighthouse is not in the historic area: it is in the beach area. We plugged in the address into our GPS and found it after crossing the bridge and going right on the main street and looking for it on the horizon on the left side. There is free parking at the lighthouse in front.