We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 4
Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

I am looking into visiting St. Augustine in late February for my baby's birthday. He is early thirtie's with two sweet but busy toddlers and has been hinting about going away for a few days with me for his birthday. Since we're in Atlanta, I don't want to have to spend the whole 3 days driving. So, St. Aug is only 7 1/2 hours. Does anyone have advice on a beautiful place to stay that's not froofy, lacey, teddy bear laden but smart, upscale, and gorgeous? He's never been to Florida and so I want him to get a good taste of palm trees, beach, and his other love- golf! We love good food, wine and relaxing, and three days to do it!

Any thoughts on a good place to stay, eat, and golf?

I would so appreciate it!

Atlantarock

St. Augustine FL
1. Re: Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

Any place you stay for Golf included is NOT going to be in the historic district and that is where you want to be in February. You can drive to many nearby golf courses for that. Stay at a B & B - again read the reviews - not all of them are doiley laden. Some are more modern. Check out the top B & B's on the reviews and go from there. Good luck. Read forums that were posted previously regarding places to eat. If you stay at a B & B, the owners will lead you to the best places to eat, etc. AND more importantly ward you away from the tourist trap restaurants that have horrible food, service, etc. YOu will be lead in the right directions with personal touches here. The B & B's are the ONLY way to go! Let us know how you make out!

Tampa, FL
reviews: 31
2. Re: Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

If he loves golf, stay at Sawgrass Marriot. Yes it is expensive but to play TPC stadium course will be something he will never forget.

Atlanta
3. Re: Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

Thanks for the advice.

I think I've settled on Alexander Homestead. It looks very nice.

And the golf...

How far away is that? Do I have to stay at their resort?

I really appreciate your input.

Atlantarock

St. Augustine...
4. Re: Need advice on a surprise birthday getaway for golf-lovin...

Hammock Beach, south of St. Augustine in Palm Coast. Great upscale golfing!