We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is St Augustine line in early January?

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
reviews: 52
What is St Augustine line in early January?

What would a family vacation January 2-6 be like in St. Augustine? Weather? Rates? Crowds? Too cold to swim?

I would greatly apprieciate any info!

Orlando, Fl
reviews: 7
1. Re: What is St Augustine line in early January?

I don't know much about the rates or crowds in St. Augustine during winter, but I can give you a basic idea of the weather.

It may be too cold to swim. Sometimes the air is warm, but the ocean will still be cold. If your plan is to swim in a pool, you may be ok, because many hotel pools are heated. The weather in January is usually very nice. It is not the rainy season, so it is nice out more often than not. It also isn't all that humid that time of year. It can be cold in Florida though, especially as far north as St. Augustine. In January, it can even be in the 30s or 40s during the day sometimes, and occasionally the temp drops below freezing at night. Other days in January, the weather might be in the 70s. It really depends on whether there is a cold front coming through or not. Actual temperatures in January are had to predict and change quickly. I live in Orlando, and when I travel north to Gainesville, FL during the winter months, I pack for cold weather and for warmer weather, even if it is just for the weekend. It might be 75 on Friday and 45 by Sunday.

As long as you pack layers, you should be ok. At least it won't be hot and humid with daily thunderstorms like it is in the summer.

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 78
2. Re: What is St Augustine line in early January?

As a resident of St. Augustine, I have never seen it stay in the 30s in the winter months. It may get down to freezing at night for a night or so, but warms back up during the day. The last two winters we have had one freeze at night (32 degrees) each season wherein I had to bring in my plants. On cold nights like this, the day would only warm up to about 50 degrees, but it can be very windy - too cold for the beach then and feels much colder.

As for rates, January is considered "season", so prices could be 10% higher than in summer-time. "Season" starts here about the last week in November (when the one million lights in town are lit) and goes until the 1st week in May. The Nights of Lights (last week in Nov. until end of January) bring many, many visitors. It is quite busy here, but then it is busy all year round-many people interested in history visit here. It is a very romantic city also.

Don't worry, all places have heat; just bring warm clothes for the times it is chilly.