We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

large toothy fish

Which Pompano Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mechanicsburg...
large toothy fish

How are the beaches in the pompano area as far as sharks are concerned. had a close call in Daytona 2 years ago. Id like to be prepared.

4 replies to this topic
Pompano Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 35
1. Re: large toothy fish

There are sharks. It is the ocean. There are also barracuda which also are toothy. But the chances of you being bitten are minuscule. I've never heard of even the inkling of a shark attack in the past 6 years. People think they see them close to shore but they usually are seeing large tarpon or pompano fish. A quick search shows a man died in 2001 while scuba diving and they think he was fighting off a bull shark and his regulator fell out of his mouth and he drown. Talk about a one in a gazillion chance incident.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 60
2. Re: large toothy fish

You should have pretty safe chances against the toothy fish at the beach. There are lifeguards at Ft L and Boca beaches I think which would allow additional warnings

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
3. Re: large toothy fish

You're at more risk in the car getting to the beach than you are in the water.

More people are struck by lightning than are bitten by anything in the ocean.

Think about how many people are in and on the water in Florida on any given day, versus how many people are bitten....you're pretty safe.

Don't go in the water if you're bleeding...stay out of the water at dusk and dawn (prime feeding times)....don't swim in murky water....all the usual rules for saltwater swimming.

Mechanicsburg...
4. Re: large toothy fish

Thanks, I know some parts of Fla. are more prone to shark activity than others. just wanted to know if Pompano was one of them. Regardless I will be careful.

Reply to: large toothy fish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted