We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help

Which Pompano Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville ky
reviews: 37
Need help

My husband and I are going to Miami and will be staying at the Royal Vista resort and will be taking a cruise to the Bahaas from the Miami port is this location far from the port and how will we get there? I have never been to Florida and have no idea as to transportation issues we will be flying in from Lousiville Ky our trip is in April but I am trying to get a start on the trip.. Thanks for any help or info I can get.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
1. Re: Need help

Which airport are you flying into- MIA or FLL? Royal Vista is VERY far from Port of Miami- unless you have a rental car it will be difficult to get there except by taxi or private car service and that will probably cost $100 or more- yikes!! Is there no way you can stay closer to Miami?

I'll look up the milage for you and repost- but I definitely think this is not a good plan - unless there is something I'm not understanding in your post. Just getting to Royal Vista from Ft. Lauderdale Airport would be about a $50 taxi ride and Port of Miami is much further away. in the other direction.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
2. Re: Need help

It's approximately 40 miles from Royal Vista in Pompano to Port of Miami- I usually figure taxi fare at $2.50/mile ( the formula is more complicated , but that usually is close)- so $100 or so for a taxi.

It's 16 miles to get to Royal Vista from Fort Lauderdale Airport (about a $40 taxi ride at least - I think someone recently posted $50).

I hope you are not flying in to MIA airport- Royal Vista would liekl;y be about a $100 taxi ride from there as well.

Then again rental cars are very expensive these days as well.

While Royal Vista is a pretty nice time share , it doesn't sound like a good location for this - have you any possibility of staying in Hollywood , FL instead? That is south of the Fort Lauderdale Airport and on the way to the Port. Pompano is far to the north.

There is not good public transportation from Pompano Beach to Miami. Taxi or car service are all I can come up with as ideas.

Louisville ky
3. Re: Need help

I'm not sure which airport we will be flying into is Royal Vista closer to Ft Lauderdale? I might have to call wyndham back and see if they have anything closer, I"m so happy that you answered my question like I said before I have never been to Florida and have no idea where anything is

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
4. Re: Need help

Royal Vista ( and Pompano ) is MUCH closer to Ft. Lauderdale than to Miami- it is just a few miles north of Ft Lauderdale., but about 50 miles north of Miami . I am not at all sure that Wyndham has any timeshares in the actual Miami area anywhere near the Port though I don't know for sure- all of their properties near Ft. Lauderdale seem to be in Pompano. They bought them all at the same from Fairfield - another time share company- if I recall.

Louisville ky
5. Re: Need help

I guess that is why the woman I spoke with at the resort suggested staying there and get a taxi when we leave to go on the cruise I am confused. Thanks for all your help

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
6. Re: Need help

They do have one timeshare property in Miami- near Miami Airport- I know nothing about it or whether it si nice at all. It's called Whyndam Miami Resort. All their other Florida properties ( 4) are in Pompano Beach- I would say Royal Vista is second from the top in niceness- Santa Barbara is newer as it had to be completely rebuilt after Hurricaen Wilma and it was closed for years while that happened and only recently opened so all it's fixtures etc are newer than Royal Vista. Royal Vista is on the beach however , while Santa Barbara is across the street from it. Just so you'll know, there are very few restaurants or anything else on that strip of South Pompano Beach within walking distance - you'll have to taxi pretty much anywhere you want to dine , shop etc or ride a city bus - it's a stretch of nothing but condos and a few other old hotels. That particular stretch is not the best choice for someone without a car in my opinion.

Owensboro, Kentucky
reviews: 8
7. Re: Need help

We just got home from Pompano Beach this past Saturday (10/25), and we are from Owensboro, Ky. But the other poster is correct, not many things to do around pompano w/o a car, but you may be able to find restaurants in other condos that are within walking distance. But Miami is about 45-50 minutes away from pompano, so a taxi would probably be a bit pricey. Good Luck! Oh and we stayed at Wyndham Sea Gardens on North Ocean Drive, they do NOT have a restaurant on site.

Owensboro, Kentucky
reviews: 8
8. Re: Need help

I am from Owensboro, Ky and we just got home from Pompano Beach this past Saturday (10/25). Its a great area, but the other poster is correct to say there is not much to do without a car. I would see if some of the other condos have restaurants for you guys to eat in that are within walking distance. We stayed at Sea Gardens and they do NOT have a restaurant, it is on the north end of ocean blvd. As far as going to Miami, it is about a 45-50 minute car ride and will probably be pricey going by cab. I wish you luck.

Louisville ky
9. Re: Need help

Thanks for all you alls help.. It looks like we might look into renting a car for the 5 days and see if we can drop it off at the port

10. Re: Need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2010