We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfsider resort

Which Pompano Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
7 posts
Surfsider resort

Can anyone tell me about the Surfsider or surfrider resort? My friend said its a nice condo and I may want to book a 2 bedroom for my family this summer. Is it still there or are there new condo high risers going up in Pompano?

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Surfsider resort

Did I answer this on another forum?

Old...across the street from beach in Pompano (unless you are talking about the one on Sanibel Island....

I've seen just OK reports from most reviews. If you can get the Royal Vista, (highly rated) or the standard timeshare units (lighthouse Cove, Canada House, La Costa) ...most of the units in those are IN THE Sand.

In summer, you must bring beach shoes or flip flops and an umbrella....the sun is HOT. And go to BJs or Costco and get a case of drinking water to keep IN the trunk....and gallons in the unit.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,425 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Surfsider resort

Surfrider is the name of the one I went by today on my errand run up A1A- a time share property ( sign out front has resale weeks for $900.)

It's across the street from the beach on the west side of A1A. One concern you should have that I forgot to check is how you get access to the beach. Across the street are high rise condos and I know they generally will not allow folks to walk through their property to the beach- most are designed so that you have to go into the building to get to their beach area and the security wouldn't allow non residents access. I forgot to look and see how far north or south the nearest cross street or public access you could use is located. It does end up being an issue in some cases. I saw a review somewhere comparing it to a Days Inn ( like "a nice Days Inn" someone said) and seeing it from the road I would guess that's likely the case. Not much in the way of eating places in that area- I think maybe hotel restaurants at the Beachcomber and the Paradise- and a little coffee shop/pizza joint called Stingers within a walk that has a "breakfast: banner across their window. Most everything on that stretch is a condo or timeshare- and yes there is construction going on- but nothing right near you at the moment- a few properties in the area like the former Ramada Inn and the Santa Barbara timeshare are abandoned and fenced in- don't know if there will be repairs (at Santa Barbara) or demolishing ( Ramada is way beyond repair) in the immediate future- they have been unattended to for quite some time.

NY
7 posts
3. Re: Surfsider resort

Thanks LuLu! You mean the Surfrider has weeks for $900 a week?I thought they were timeshares?Do they also rent out weeks too? thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,425 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Surfsider resort

I think the $900/ week sign I saw is for purchasing a week as a timeshare for perpetuity - then they add annual maintenance fees and the like. So it would be $900 plus annual maintenence fees. I personally don't think timeshares are a good thing to purchase. I am sure you can rent a week either from them or from an owner directly who is not going to use their week- but I don't know the mechanics of it. Our frequent poster KenK is the expert on all things timeshare around here.

I don't know if this is one of those places where they rent you a week as a guest and then hound you about buying a timeshare there when you come- some are like that, others not.

NY
7 posts
5. Re: Surfsider resort

Thanks LuLu2- I really appreciate the info so you suggest I call the resort itself? Can you tell me if the resort is nice and located in a safe area? thanks

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: Surfsider resort

I forgot about the beach access....they had a hard time. As for Z$900 a week, what lulu said is right, that is for a deeded (for life) week.

All those I mentioned above (except the Royal Vista Fairfield) have had weeks on e bay for one dollar a week to $99.00 a week starting bid, and usually don't get any bids.

The main reason for this is the high maint costs.....most are about $700 a week. And Broward, PAlm Beach and Dade counties will tax near $160 a week for each unit....

An example is the Marriott Beach Place. Taxes there are $200 a week and brings maint to over $1000 a week.

It is also getting high due to insurance costs. The FF Santa Barbara hasn't yet reopened since Wilma, nor has one or two buildings in the Fairfield Palm Aire units....glass blew out & now mold issues.

There are several folks who own many weeks at these standard units (go in and talk to the office...they may give you weeks for free or closing, just to get the maintance & taxes restarted). One fellow from NJ (not me) owns enought weeks to stay for 5 months during the winter....

The beachfront units he has, he feels, are worth the 700 a week maint & tax fees. (I wonder where you could stay on the beach ina one bed or 2 bed apartment for $700 a week in season? (And yes...there can also be assessments).

If he can't use them, he can rent them out, as long as he didn't get them through an exchange company.

Surfsider Resort and Tennis Club

1443 South Ocean Boulevard

Pompano Beach, FL 33062

North America , USA

RCI Code: 0761

II Code(s): SSR

OR:

Surf Rider Resort Condominium ( #0761 )

1441 S. Ocean Blvd.

Pompano Beach, FL , 33062 , USA Phone: 954/785-8991

Reviews indicate most 2 bed 2 bath with stacked W/D in unit. Very well worn standard units. Beach access through a coded gate (you need code numbers to get though) on a very deserted beach area. GAte is between a Beach Club and private condos. Bring your own umbrellas and chairs...no rentals or lifeguards noted.

Some T/Ss have chairs & umbrellas they will let you use or rent). Out of a high of 10 (no T/S in this rating system gets 10) this resort gets a 5. General feeling was good place.....since the 2002 reviews, folks noted they charge for the W/D in closet. (Most T/Ss don't charge) -even the Silver Seas has a laundry room, but don't charge)

Tennis available (some said with a charge.) Decks overlook a waterway, but some said it wasn't the intracoastal (???). Olympic sized pool some felt not cleaned well (?)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,425 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Surfsider resort

Ken would definitely give you better info on this than I can- I have never stayed there or tried to rent from them. What happened to the poor folks who bought at Santa Barbara ( a FairfielsdTimeshare ) is a cautionary tale. It was severely damaged in Hurricane Wilma and they are still being charged their annual fee even though it is boarded up and no one will tell them when ( if ever ) they will ever be able to stay there again. And, I suppose if there are extra assessments to try to repair the building they will be charged that too. I think Ken ha a somewhat similar situation in a time share he inherited in Hollywood that needs major repairs as well.

Ken would be the best guide as to the best place to inquire about how to go about renting these places .

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Surfsider resort

Lulu & Barb:

The owners of weeks and points at the Wyndham Fairfield Santa Barbara have already been assessed approx $1000 a week (approx 186,000 points). There will be more assessments many figure. (Thats $52,000 per apartment!!!). Since no maid or cleaning service, I believe the maint fees are a bit lower than usual.

They are, however, being allowed to use other Fairfield resorts or even RCI resorts to stay in while their units are being fixed....week by week, but I think thats because Fairfield is such a big company, and both Fairfield and RCI are under the same parent corp.

According to Andy (one of the multi week owners of many weeks in Ft Laud), the main problem is insurance and the lack of communication between the management company (Fairfield) the controllers of the HOA (Also Fairfield...which should never happen), and the owners of the units.

NH
1 post
9. Re: Surfsider resort

it's actually the Surf "rider" resort -- do not be confused with the surf side on Briny Ave. which is an absolute dump!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,425 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Surfsider resort

I haven't been responding to any of these posts of late since I came to realize that there are two places with such similar names that seen to be located very near one another- and for fear I've been misreading the signage at the one that (still) advertises units for sale at $900 ( for a week each year. I guess. and not including maintenenace and assements etc, which may be the deal killer- I admit my rule of thumb is no time share no where no time no way , not ever - but next time I promise to slow down and look I and see what's what- I can easily see that confusion is possible- and perhaps by design.

Get answers to your questions about Pompano Beach