We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

Which Pensacola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 1
Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

We are going to Pensacola in August. Trying to decide where to stay.

Any Suggestion or comments about Portofino.

Arkansas
reviews: 23
1. Re: Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

I just returned from Pensacola yesterday. This is what I noticed about the two:

Portofino - located almost at the end of the island all by itself. It looks like a monstrous resort, plus I checked into it earlier, and it was over $300 a night. You have to walk a very short distance across the road to get to the beach. The beach didn't seem to have a lot of people on it compared to some of the other areas I noticed. But, the whole area looked gorgeous. The towers are massive, and it just looks gorgeous. On the flip side, the restaurants are all the way back to the main part of town. It seemed to be all by itself at the end of the island.

Hilton Garden Inn - they are building a condo right next door and a crane was working overhead. I heard the Hilton was very nice, but I didn't go there. It was the only building to survive Hurricane Ivan, and so the FEMA folks took it over for their headquarters (according to a Hampton Inn employee).

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for 3 nights and had a gulf front room and a balcony. It had just re-opened in April so everything was brand new. They need to work out some housekeeping scheduling problems, but it was a nice place to stay for around $240 a night (plus taxes and fees). It was clean and quiet. They have 2 pools with a tiki bar. A putt putt golf is located next door.

Ft. Worth
2. Re: Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

Was in Pensacola first week of June and stayed on Santa Rosa Island (also called Pensacola Beach) - you will love it! I did a ton of research, so I've already done the leg-work for you. So here it is:

Unless you are trying to impress someone - don't stay at the Portofino. If you are looking to get your moneys worth than I recommend The Marriot Spring Hill Suites. They are hands-down the best for the stay and spend. For about $217.00 per night, you're right on the beach and walking distance to restaurants, you get a flagship staff (best I've ever encountered), free parking virtually on the beach that's monitored by a security guard, spacious rooms with a minifridge and hangers for your nicer clothes and a hair dryer as well (one less item to pack); proactive housekeeping which means they will give you room service without you having to request it. From 6am to 10am, you also get a true breakfast with a good selection of cereals, milk, fruits and juices to waffles and donuts to eggs and sausage. They also have a separate junior pool if you need one. And if you lose your key twice (like I did), they will not hesitate to give you another key. If you like breathtaking views, then book room 512 - it has a view of The Santa Rosa Bridge coming on to the island and a view of the teal-colored water of the gulf as well. But if you've narrowed it down between Portofino and The Hilton - go with the Hilton. Hope you find this helpful. Let me know how it goes -- Loaded Moses / Ft. Worth Texas

Missouri
reviews: 2
3. Re: Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

We have gone for many years and usually rent a condo at San Souci. You can go to their site and see the different condos available. It is cheaper than most hotels and is right on the beach. Nothing like waking up and having a cup of coffee on your private balcony as you watch for the dolphins to swim by.

Austin, TX
reviews: 1
4. Re: Portofino or the Hilton Gardin Inn

I'm pretty sure the San Souci is still closed from Hurricane Ivan.

As for the Hilton Garden Inn, make sure you call them first because I think they are adding on to the hotel which means major construction. Of course, most of Pensacola Beach is undergoing major construction.

Portofino is nice but it's definitely not within walking distance of restaurants and shops which the other hotels on P. Beach are.

Good luck!!