We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly?

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bardstown, Kentucky
reviews: 7
Gay friendly?

I have a gay couple that ask me about Panama City Beach. I have been several but don't know if it is gay friendly there or not. Would it be good for me to recommend it to them. I love it there. Have always took my family there. Bits it's been awhile since I have been. What should I tell them. Btw. They are a male couple.

42 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
21. Re: Gay friendly?

Depending how old they are, that could also be a factor in their concern. Times have changed, and continue to change. Older people are more in the habit of being careful, younger people expect things to be more open/accepting. Understandable, I guess.

I find more LGBT folks worry about this for foreign trips than for travel within the US.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 72
22. Re: Gay friendly?

What I am offended by is over-the-top public displays of affection, regardless of whether the couple is straight or gay.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 85
23. Re: Gay friendly?

Wow, this post has some really crazy responses.

DJGuy - I think they would be just fine in PCB. Tell them to go and have fun. If it isn't what they expected and didn't enjoy their stay, then they can scratch it off their list for next time.

For what it's worth, I saw two gay couples when I was visiting in early October. One couple was shopping at Target, and I didn't see them as being a target for weird looks or mean comments or anything else. Just two normal guys shopping together - no big deal.

I'm pretty they'll have a great time and will feel very welcome in PCB.

Bardstown, Kentucky
reviews: 7
24. Re: Gay friendly?

I'm not fond of any Over the top PDA. Of any kind.

Opp, Alabama
reviews: 95
25. Re: Gay friendly?

"I saw two gay couples when I was visiting in early October. One couple was shopping at Target, and I didn't see them as being a target for weird looks or mean comments or anything else. Just two normal guys shopping together"

Two normal guys shopping together are automatically gay?

Austin, Texas
26. Re: Gay friendly?

Yes - two guys shopping together = gay. If you don't want to be gay, you shouldn't go shopping with another guy. Ever.

Lewisville,Texas
reviews: 6
27. Re: Gay friendly?

My Brother in law and his Boyfriend joined us in PCB in june and we all had a Blast, there are plenty of place to go out and enjoy a drink at and do some dancing. I would be fair to say dam near any place Vacation wise is Gay friendly these days if not who screw em

Ottawa, Canada
28. Re: Gay friendly?

stumbled on this thread, couldnt help but throw in my two cents worth - i think gay friendly refers to the general attitude of people, for example in certain caribean countires, it is very very unfriendly, i.e. banning of movies, turning back gay cruise ships, prevelant homophobia amongs the general population, where they dont bat an eye about joking about gay-bashing, getting rude comments and looks when requesting a king bed instead of two doubles, or being turned away from B&B which has occured in several US locations. Not being afraid of running into these situations as general par for course is what is considered gay friendly.

Springfield...
29. Re: Gay friendly?

No, it stands for Public Display of Affection. Which may or may not be welcome since ya'll are PDA (I'm using the comparison that whatchamadufus used earlier) and people don't really mind but it is slightly awkward... If you know what I mean. I would personally recommend California, I hear they are extremely "gay friendly". Heck, they could even get married.

Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 1
30. Re: Gay friendly?

I know this post is ancient history, but I couldn't help adding my two cents as well. 001traveler001 really hit the nail on the head. My partner and I research the the social atmosphere of any destination we are considering before we commit to a vacation. I would love to be one of those people who is willing to just throw caution to the wind, but we don't get to go on vacation too often, so when we do, we don't want to have to worry about being harassed or denied service just because we're in a same-sex relationship. We're going on vacation to relax, just like anyone else.

Reply to: Gay friendly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach