We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly?

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bardstown, Kentucky
reviews: 7
Gay friendly?

I have a gay couple that ask me about Panama City Beach. I have been several but don't know if it is gay friendly there or not. Would it be good for me to recommend it to them. I love it there. Have always took my family there. Bits it's been awhile since I have been. What should I tell them. Btw. They are a male couple.

42 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
1. Re: Gay friendly?

I don't know what gay friendly means. I have a dog, and some places are dog friendly meaning that I can bring my dog. I don't know of any place that gay people are not allowed, or even questioned about before entering, so I would assume that the whole place is gay friendly.

I would suggest that they just enjoy the beaches and sunsets instead of worrying about making sure that all of the surrounding strangers know about their gayness.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
2. Re: Gay friendly?

I second Bob. If they are that concered tell them to visit New Orleans. No one will notice them there. I doubt anyone will notice them in PCB. Seems pretty common nowdays.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
3. Re: Gay friendly?

I'm a tour director. People ask me sometimes if a place is vegetarian-friendly. I'm not a vegetarian. I don't normally pay attention to the things that would matter to a vegetarian. So I don't pick up on that just by visiting there. To answer the question, I'd need to go there and purposely give it some attention.

Gay-friendly is like that. If you haven't picked up on it one way or the other, you're the wrong person to answer the question. There's no shame in that. Don't try to pull an answer out of your you-know-what. Just tell them you don't know, and they should ask someone else who does.

Bob, if you think gay people don't draw unwanted attention just by our presence, you haven't been paying attention. For a lot of couples, straight or gay, enjoying a beach or sunset means you spend some of your time holding hands, sharing a quick kiss, or otherwise displaying your sexuality in visible ways. When a gay couple asks if a place is gay-friendly, they want to know if they can safely hold hands without being harassed for it - just enjoy a worry-free, hassle-free vacation like every other couple.

It's a common concern for LGBT people visiting an unfamiliar place. My tour business isn't just for LGBT people - for everyone. But as a gay man, I do pay attention to how gay-friendly a place is. And many LGBT people like to know the place they'll be vacationing, and spending their limited time/money, is a place they'll feel welcome.

SE Indiana
4. Re: Gay friendly?

You know- I think this is absolute nuts. NO-ONE can answer if the folks these homosexuals are going to run into will make fun of them, join in with them, or just ignore them.

If 1 person out of the 1000's they will encounter on this trip makes a deal out of it will PCB become known as "non homosexual friendly"?

Since NO-ONE can guarantee the homosexuals, or bald people, or fat people, or crippled people, or red-headed people, or green-eyed people, or ANYONE a hassel free vacation in PCB, (who know how strangers will react?) the safest choice would be to stay away from ANYPLACE there might be the slightest chance of being ostracized.

Austin, Texas
5. Re: Gay friendly?

When people ask me about visiting Mexico, and they want to avoid drug violence, I help them find out about the particular place they want to visit. I don't say, "This is absolute nuts! Why don't you just lock yourself in your house if you're so worried about violent crime?" It makes sense to assess the level of risk before going to an unfamiliar place.

Agreed - no guarantees. Nobody's asking for an absolute guarantee. There's no such thing.

It's not a question of one isolated bigot here or there. So to answer your question, no. We're not that black-and-white about it.

Funny how some people here are so upset about this. Y'all need to relax.

SE Indiana
6. Re: Gay friendly?

I don't notice anyone being "upset".

This is a topic that rears it's head from time to time here-the answer is always the same. No-one here can predict how PCB vacationers or residents will react if homosexuals start "acting out" in public.

Bardstown, Kentucky
7. Re: Gay friendly?

Sorry. I didnt mean to start a war between you guys. Plus i dont think they are going to make out in public. I think they just wondered if they go to dinner or even get a hotel if there would be a problem. They are nice people. I just told them how beautiful it was there, and they might like it. Its not like they would change the world there. Just if they would be welcomed like anyone else.

Austin, Texas
8. Re: Gay friendly?

DJ, you did everything right. No apology necessary.

I actually think this thread is a pretty good example of what we're talking about. Neither you nor I has suggested your gay friends would do anything unusual - nothing straight people don't do all the time. But still, two people have described it as "acting out" or "making sure that all of the surrounding strangers know about their gayness."

That's the kind of attitude your friends would just as soon avoid. If there are a few people around who feel that way, whatever. We're used to that. But if it's the dominant attitude, as it seems to be in this forum, that's when a place doesn't feel so welcoming.

Bardstown, Kentucky
9. Re: Gay friendly?

guess its pretty sad then. I really think they just want to go unnoticed. But i do think that scares them a bit. im not a big fan of PDA. Panama City or Destin area is so nice. i think they would like it. If.........

SE Indiana
10. Re: Gay friendly?

Does "PDA" stand for "Panama Destin Area"?

Reply to: Gay friendly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted