We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Well, I have a few useful links now of where to purchase my tickets before arriving in Orlando, but, If I can only go for one of the main attractions, which one should it be! Disney and then see if I get a Universal offer once in Florida or the other way around. I know Disney celebrates 50 years this year, I really want to do Sea World, and my son I'm sure would love Epcot. We've been to Disney Paris twice, does that count and discount Disney Florida???

California
reviews: 46
1. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Sea World is great for any age.

Universal and Islands of Adventure is best for ages 7 and up. There are very few things to do for younger children.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 27
2. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Yes, Sea World is great. As for Disney, there have been several discussions on Disney World vs. Disneyland California on Trip Advisor in the past. I would assume that Disneyland Paris would be similar to Disneyland California. The concenus on D.W. vs. D.L. was that Disney World is huge and has much more to offer than Disneyland. Most people felt it was well worth the time to see Disney World. Our family loves Disney World and have gone almost every year for the past 12 years; we've still not seen or done everything there. Why don't you check out DisneyWorld.com and see what you think. As for Universal, after watching the great commericals on TV for months, our family was disappointed, to us it wasn't all it was hyped up to be. There were a lot of rides that you could find at theme parks all across the U.S., also both parks were much smaller than we thought that they would be. Islands of Adventure only took a half of a day to see, to me that's a lot of money to spend on a half-day park. However, a lot of Brits who write on these forums seem to love it?

Best Wishes!

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 312
3. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

If you've been to Disney Paris why come all the way to the US to go to another Disney park? Broaden your horizons and experience something different like one of the Universal parks or SeaWorld. Of course I'm sure Disney Paris has nothing like Epcot or MGM. I don't think you can really make a bad choice unless you're totally not into any kind of rides then the Universal parks would not be a good choice. Check out IOAcentral.com for a good run down on the Universal parks. Most people that try the Universal parks love them and are glad they went. Like anything else everyone has an opinion and different likes and dislikes. Have a great trip.

Derbyshire. UK
4. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Having visited both Disneyland Paris and Disney World in Florida I can honestly say there is no comparison! The Paris park is like a tiny sample of what Disney has to offer and if you can really only do one of the main Florida attractions then WDW would definitely be my choice.

However, if you really want to see Seaworld then the most cost effective way to do it is with an Orlando Flex Ticket which will also include Universal and Islands of Adventure.

Looks like you've got some tough choices ahead, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

London
5. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Hiya, Quick thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Think I'm gonna have to find the most economical way to see WDW and Universal in some way. Yeah been to Disney Paris, but, heard it's no comparison, and yes, there is not Epcot or MGM. Gonna have to also find time to hit the outlet stores, gonna need a holiday when I get back! Which leads me on to my next question, but, I will save that for a new posting. Thanks again! Oh yeah, to the respondent that's been every year for 12 years, you lucky thing, I envy you and yours.

England
reviews: 12
6. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Disney is initially what you think Orlando is all about, however, Islands, Universal and Sea World are just as much so. To be honest I wouldn't miss any of them out if at all possible. Each offer something totally unique to that park.

I am going back for the fourth time this year and know we are going to be in for one hectic time because we intend visiting all those parks again.

London
7. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Yes, I am going to aim to visit as many parks as possible and rest when I get home.

Wiltshire UK
reviews: 52
8. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

How old are your children? If a teenager Universal definately offers the best entertainment. Mine was very interested in Kennedy too but thats becuase he is totally interested in flight. We bought a universal ticket that was for 2 days with 5 days free! Check out all the sites before you go and you should get a good deal. Watch out for USA sites as you may get stung for tax and postage over and above the advertised prices.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 27
9. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

Oh here we go again, everyone has an opinion on the best theme parks, but no one park is DEFINITELY the best for any particular age group. My oldest teenager's favorite park is Epcot, and the younger one's favorite park is MGM/Disney. They both love all the Disney parks, Sea World, and Kennedy Space Center. In their opinion, the Universal parks rank at the bottom of the Orlando area attractions. There are other kids out there who only want to go to the Universal parks. All kids, like adults, are individuals and all have different likes and dislikes. If I were you I'd read these posted opinions, then check out the theme parks' websites; know your kid's interests and decide for yourself and/or let your son help decide.

Best Wishes!

uk
10. Re: Disney or Universal? Which one should I go for?

WDW, Universal, Busch Gardens, Seaworld, Cocoa Beach, Shopping, Food by the ton, Constant sunshine, Omg you will have a brill time! Not one park was better than the rest my 2 kids and i enjoyed them all and want to be packed in someones suitcase to do it all again!!! You will have a brill time. Enjoy!!!!