We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hexham...
reviews: 12
Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Hi has anyone used this card abroad? a couple of questions

Are they better than taking travellers cheques

Do you get charged for withdrawing cash from the machines

Will be taking some US dollars, just wondered if it is worth having.

thanks

70 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Norwich and Peterbrough have a current account with a visa card that has no charges to withdraw from cashpoints abroad. Maybe look at that? I am abroad often so i use this as it saves me carrying a lot of cash, never had a problem with it.

Watford, United...
2. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Do you get charged for withdrawing cash from the machines

=============

What did the Halifax website say?

Hexham...
3. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Website says they dont but some machines charge!

London, United...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

I have it, it's a good card to have. You don't get charged for cash withdrawals by Halifax, although most ATMs have their own charges. You will pay interest from the date of the cash withdrawal, until the date its paid off. If you have internet access while you are away, you can pay off the cash withdrawal through online banking as soon as it shows on your account, so the interest will be pennies. I don't withdraw cash on mine, I take separate cash, and just use my card for purchases.

Watford, United...
5. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

Website says they dont but some machines charge!

==============

And there is your answer!

To pay interest from date of withdrawal is nuts in my opinion. If you are able to, preload a card such as a Caxton FX or FairFX card as well as taking cash. However you are going to get differing opinions on here regarding the best ways of taking money.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

FRESTER
reviews: 5
6. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

I also have the Norwich and Peterbourgh card and it works well.

edinburgh
reviews: 16
7. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

I use the Halifax Clarity card, I only use it for purchases. Good exchange rate & no charges. I take cash for small buys/tips.

I am aware that ATMs charge you for withdrawing cash, so don't do it.

hertfordshire
reviews: 66
8. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

I use this card for purchases, excellent rate of exchange and no charges. I have never used it for cash.

I believe it comes out very well against other credit cards. Don't for get to let them know you are travelling...

Welwyn Garden City...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

I used mine everywhere when we went to Orlando in March. No fee for any of the transactions, though I didn't use it to withdraw cash.

I'll be using it again when we go back in October! :-) highly recommended.

Edited: 1:01 pm, June 29, 2013
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
reviews: 73
10. Re: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?

In general it isn't a good idea to use any Credit Card for cash withdrawals as, as others have said, interest is charged. There is (to my knowledge) one exception to this but is only available to over 50's. The Saga credit card is fee-free, uses the city exchange rate (as all do), and, for cash withdrawals, charge a 2% fee and no interest. And that 2% fee is still far better than the cost of inferior rates you get when buying currency or loading prepaid cards.

For under 50's, use a Debit Card from a fee-free issuer (those machine charges are trivial compared to the exchange rate loadings on other methods of obtaining cash; and if you look hard enough I gather you can even find machines with no charge - I have never bothered, though). Failing that, take only a few hundred $$ with you for use only when necessary, and use that Clarity Card (or similar) absolutely everywhere and for everything you can - small amounts included. Let the store/restaurant etc... refuse a small amount if they care to; if not use the card. Always. That is the cheapest way to spend your money.

Reply to: Halifax clarity card? anyone had experience of using these?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted