We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Drivers Licence

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
International Drivers Licence

Hi,

I've applied for an International Drivers Licence Permit (I live in London) for when we get a car in Orlando. However, I was told by a friend that there is something more expensive and different to this permit that I need to get to be able to drive in America. I've searched online and can't find anything related to what she was talking about.

Could any British drivers let me know what they take with them to be able to hire and drive a car?

Thanks in advance.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: International Drivers Licence

If you have a full GB driving license then all you should need is an International Driving Permit.

IDP's can be different depending on which country you're visiting. For more info see http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

Depending on when you're going you may not need one. There's loads of threads in this forum about the current state of the law regarding IDP's

HTH

Edited: 3:18 pm, March 31, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,429 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: International Drivers Licence

The legislature has repealed the IDP requirement retroactive to Jan 2013, so you don't need one at all- this happened last week.

Bindii76
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: International Drivers Licence

So if we are cmng from Australia, do we need a permit?

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: International Drivers Licence

You need both parts of your UK driving license and if you are traveling prior to July 1st you are required to have a IDP International Driving Permit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: International Drivers Licence

Thanks everyone.

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
6. Re: International Drivers Licence

Granddad51..Why do you need the IDP ?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
34,429 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: International Drivers Licence

Please read my post #2- the IDP requirement has been repealed and the repeal is retroactive to Jan 2013.

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
8. Re: International Drivers Licence

Lulutoo..I know but some people are insisting one is still needed!. They seem to suggest that those of us who have not got one are silly.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: International Drivers Licence

I dont think random strangers are indicating people are "silly" for not getting the IDP. If you go onto the AA website in the UK. it does state the following. Naturally people are following the advice of high profile motoring organisations rather than a bunch of strangers on an annonymous website.

Advice

The AA strongly advises that you should obtain an IDP if you intend to drive in Florida. Although updates (below) indicate that a fine will not be given just for driving without an IDP, the law hasn’t been amended as yet and does still exist.

Latest

15 March 2013

This week, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) filed draft language aimed at amending the recent change to Florida law requiring IDPs. The language submitted to the Florida Senate and House of Representatives will restore Florida law to allow licensed foreign drivers to legally operate motor vehicles in the Sunshine State. DHSMV and Visit Florida will work with the Florida Legislature in the coming months to move this legislation to the Governor's desk.

Manchester, United...
7 posts
10. Re: International Drivers Licence

theledger.com/article/…

According to all reports the IDP law is not and in the end will not be enforced