We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News about the international driving permit

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Matlock, United...
reviews: 11
News about the international driving permit

Published: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 3:11 a.m.

The state House voted 116-0 on Wednesday to repeal a 2012 law that required international visitors to get special permits before they can drive in Florida.

The requirement has particularly caused confusion and problems for Canadians who flock to the state each winter. Rep. Daniel Davis, a Jacksonville Republican who sponsored the repeal proposal (HB 7059), said lawmakers want to make sure they are sending a "strong message to international tourists that we're open for business."

The 2012 law was designed to help police who deal with traffic incidents involving foreign drivers.

Well that's good news for all travelling to Florida, we no longer need to worry about this extra bit of paperwork lol ;)

Devon UK
reviews: 8
1. Re: News about the international driving permit

That's good news,thanks for posting it :-)

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 27
2. Re: News about the international driving permit

It's not final yet. It needs to pass the Senate which it is expected to do.

…msn.com/canada/florida-repeals-internationa…

Edited: 8:50 pm, March 14, 2013
Lincoln, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: News about the international driving permit

So until its final (July 1st?), its still best to have one because we all know the insurance companies will use any means possible, to wriggle out of paying, in the event of a claim?

Edited: 8:55 pm, March 14, 2013
Devon UK
reviews: 8
4. Re: News about the international driving permit

Will hang on for a bit longer then,hopefully by the time we go in October this IDP saga will be done n dusted.

newtonhill scotland
5. Re: News about the international driving permit

Good news but I go in May so just to be on the safe side for the few pounds it costs I still think I will get one as FlShirl says insurance companies could use it as a loop hole

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
6. Re: News about the international driving permit

Here's a link to the Florida Senate bill. It makes very simple amendments to the existing statute, making foreign driver licenses acceptable, exactly like licenses issued by other states in the USA.

www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/7022

Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 29
7. Re: News about the international driving permit

Any idea on when the senate will pass the bill and make it a law? I leave for Orlando on the 25th, any chance by then you think?

Kirkcaldy, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: News about the international driving permit

I go on the 27th April. So I don't need a permit then?

Lincoln, United...
9. Re: News about the international driving permit

Leeanne, see my comment at #3 :-)

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 27
10. Re: News about the international driving permit

Nothing has changed with the law. The House passed the fix. It now goes to the Senate. They are expected to pass it also. It is still law and will be until July 1 2013