We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 2
Best Disney resort for young tweens?

I am just looking for opinions on which of the Disney resorts are best for kids around the 11-13 age group. When we go we are going to do a Disney cruise & will spend 3 nts at the Wilderness Lodge after the cruise before a 3 week stay in a villa....but we want to spend the night before the cruise in a different Disney resort.

We won't have time to visit a park so we want to choose a resort that will allow the kids to explore a little.....was thinking AKL but I don't really like African theme....maybe Poly? What about Contemporary? Any other suggestions?

Horsham
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

This is hard really, as each offers different things.

We stayed at Old Key West last year and had kids ranging from 13-23 and there was lads to do in the resort and found it great. The pool is lovely, there is Plenty of sport to do! Tennis etc. you can hire bikes, or a boat to explore the rivers. There is a golf course if thy like golf. Also there is a boat tht leaves every 15mins to Downtown Disney which only takes about 15mins, where there are lads of restaurants, shops, a cinema, bowling alley etc.

If you want one. Slightly cheaper, go for Port Orleans hitch is right next door. You can easily spend a day exploring Downtown Dsney

Hope this helps x

Caz

North Bay, Canada
reviews: 75
2. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Hi AJ long time no talk ;) We stayed at bay lake towers got a theme park view we watched the fireworks the night before had a great dinner we had a mini Disney experience without the parks it was a great start to our vacation. Have you thought about a cabin at fort wilderness your teens might like the grounds they have so many activities

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Haha yeah long long time no speak WeloveDis :-) Hmm a theme park view sounds lovely!!! I am sure the kids would love that.

Caz thanks for your suggestions....I'll defs have a look at OKW too. Do they have sleeper sofas? If so are they big enough for two comfortably?

I really do like the look of the Riverside. My DD would love the royal rooms :-) Oh decisions decisions!!! I have loads of time to research but want to have an idea of how hard I need to save lol

Appreciate the ideas guys,

AJ xx

pa
4. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

For a Moderate, Port Orleans Riverside is great for Kids

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851271

Since you will already be staying at my favourite, the Wilderness Lodge

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2778033

I would suggest the Poly as another option, it's very fun and tropical

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839

Connecticut
reviews: 47
5. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Tweens, one night, Port Orleans. Cheaper on the budget and a boat ride to Downtown Disney. Second choice Coronado, good pool slide and arcade by the pool. Deluxe or villas are great but by the time you check in you will be leaving. I would save the money.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Haha partypa I knew you would love our choice to stay at WL after the cruise :-)

Macs....exactly what I ended up thinking. Our flight from Oz won't get us to the hotel until at least 8pm then we will be off & out of there the next morning!!!! So yep I think Riverside has to be the choice!!

I do really like the look of it & I think it will be a great choice for such a brief stay :-)

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!!!

pa
7. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Ha Ha indeed :)

Well Done

Glad that is sorted out, POR will be great

Connecticut
reviews: 47
8. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

It will be great, the boat ride to DTD is great just to see the tree house villas and then DTD all lit up.

Have a great trip!

Fort Worth
9. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

Spring for a "Royal Room"! They truly are magical!

10. Re: Best Disney resort for young tweens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 27, 2014