We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Shields...
reviews: 117
Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Apparently it was five years ago when the Mercardo site was demolished and it looked like it would remain abandoned for some time to come. There is an end in sight however according to the November issue of Orlando Attractions magazine (check out the link below).

attractionsmagazine.com/blog/…

The article states I-Drive Live will have the Orlando Eye (similar to the London Eye), a Sea Life Aquarium and Madam Tussauds as well as restaurants and shops.

The concept art looks lovely but it will be at least two years before the project is finished.

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 67
1. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Well at least something is finally filling this space. That Orlando Eye looks very cool. I've only done the one in Chicago at the Navy Pier, but wow, what a view.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 9
2. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

I use to really enjoy Mercardo and happy to read it will be coming back to life. it will be a great impovement to I drive. The empty area was so sad.

aberdeen
reviews: 44
3. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

i loved the mercado too, when i went to orlando with the parents it was where we went most evenings, i remeber the food court in the middle and the magic shop

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
reviews: 56
4. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

I walked through the place very near the end. It was pretty sad at the time, but I could see where it must have been really cool. Management must not have been very good to let it go down like that. My guess is the biggest killer was probably Pointe Orlando opening up down the road. It was new and hip, while the Mercado was old news. Of course Pointe Orlando has had its own problems for years, but management has made major adjustments to keep it afloat and bring it back.

Falkirk, Scotland
reviews: 37
5. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Good news and evidence that the term 'recession' is open to interpretation.

UNITED KINGDOM
reviews: 26
6. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

I remember the Mercado from our honeymoon in '86. Sad to think its been dormant for so long - good to hear future plans for the site as it was a ghost town on our last visit.

Cavan, Ireland
reviews: 63
7. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

First time I visited Orlando was in 1998. We spent a few nights at the Mercado.Listening to live bands while having a beer, with my sisters and our husbands and kids, lovely memories. I bought a Grandpa puppet in the centre and after a bit of practice he became one of the family,the kids loved him and he travelled everywhere with us that holiday. He was so lifelike but cartoonish,waving and then acting all shy that people actually used to shake hands with him !I still have him but he got a bit torn and damaged over the years,lost his spectacles too! So, as Im back to Orlando for Christmas, does anyone know if the street vendor for these puppets are still in existence? I havent seen anything like them in Ireland but I did spot a Grandad just like mine in the audience on an English entertainment show last year on TV, As the kids who were with us on that trip in 98 are all growed up now Id love to be able to recreate that memory for them as their kids come along.Their little faces lit up whenever Grandpa came out of the closet!!Even the grown ups enjoyed him. Ironically, my husband hated him, he actually had a phobia about him and would stuff him behind the couch if he found him in the room when noone else was around.Poor Grandpa.

Cowbridge, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Any updates on the progress on idrive live?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 67
9. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

Looks like things are just getting started on site; here's a webcam link you can bookmark to follow the progress:

http://www.unicorpusa.com/idrive-live-stream

10. Re: Former Mercardo site to become I-Drive Live

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 21, 2014