We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Catharines...
reviews: 7
Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

We (hubby and I) will be using the Lynx bus system along 192 quite a bit, (between Orange Lake Blvd and Osceola Square) going to restaurants for dinner in the evenings.

I’m wondering if it’s wiser to take a taxi back to condo (Lake Wilson/Formosa Gardens area) or is it safe to take a bus back, say around 9-10pm?(we are very close to bus stops, so very little walking)

Are taxi’s easily available??....(are they hanging around or will we need to call or arrange pick up ahead of time?)...examples...

1) Publix stores...are there generally taxi’s waiting out front of the store?

2) Celebration Town?...from the Tavern or Columbia restaurant...we’d want to take a taxi back to condo late evening.

3) Old Town?...again for transport back to condo later evening....or is a bus ok?

4) Disney...after the fireworks...taxi back to condo. (not sure exactly where we’ll be)

5) Al Capone’s Dinner Show... again for transport back to condo later evening....or is a bus ok?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 7:31 am, November 14, 2012
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
1. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

If I were you, I'd have the number with me to call. Mears (Yellow Cab, City Cab and Checker Cab companies) is popular. Maingate operates out of Kissimmee so may be closer at hand. You don't have to worry about Disney. There are taxi stands at the parks and hotels (they use Mears). Same for Downtown Disney, CityWalk, other major hotels, the outlets (Star Taxi), etc.

Wouldn't count on it for Publix (extremely unlikely), Celebration (doubtful), Old Town (probably, but would guess a mix of independent type drivers. just a guess), Disney (yes), Capones (not sure...they may be prepared for that after the show).

Can't speak toward how the buses are at night.

pa
2. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Taxi number to keep handy 407..422..2222

Blackwood, United...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

I have never seen taxis at Celebration

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
reviews: 73
4. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Buses are safe enough, but the last westbound 55 (which is the service you need for Orange Lake) passes Old Town at 9.10pm Mon-Sat, 8.48pm Sun; so you won't be catching one any later.

Horsham, United...
reviews: 35
5. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Which community are you staying at? Will you have a car? They are all quite a trek up to the 192 to get the bus. We stayed at Rolling Hills this June, on Formosa Gardens Boulevard and wouldn't have fancied the walk in the heat to the 192.

St. Catharines...
6. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Thanks folks for all of your input! We normally vacation in Mexico, where we always use taxi's and buses which are cheap and in abundance everywhere, so really needed some insight here.

We are staying in a little condo at Grand Lake Resort...pretty much on the corner of Formosa Gardens Blvd and 192...so the buses are very easy to get to.

We will not have a car.

partypa ...thanks for the taxi number...what company is it?

SCAN60 ...thanks for the headsup re last buses from Old Town...good to know! I'm glad you don't feel there is a safety issue...I am a little concerned about that. Not so much about traveling on the buses late evening, but more about waiting at the bus stops.

We aren't bringing our cell phone either...but I'm thinking that we may need one if only to call for a taxi now and then and a few other local calls.

I will now need to check into buying a cheapie disposable cell phone for 2 weeks use...and I'll likely have more questions on that later...lol

Thanks again!

south wales
reviews: 19
7. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

We've used the Lynx buses in the late evenings to go from Disney to I Drive and also from the outlets and have never felt unsafe. They are always busy and the drivers are very helpful.

St. Catharines...
8. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

Thanks maidenfan ...that's great to know!

9. Re: Are Taxi’s Easily Available? & Are buses safe at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, December 16, 2013