We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled badge

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire
disabled badge

hi can anyone please tell me where you get a florida temporary disabled badge from thank you

35 replies to this topic
Grand Junction...
reviews: 3
1. Re: disabled badge

This seems to have pretty current info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k524292…

Just put "disabled badge" in search. I just tried for fairly recent info.

Seaham, United...
reviews: 66
2. Re: disabled badge

Hi, if you contact Samantha at this email address;

sjewell@osceola.org

you will be able to apply for a temporary handicapped parking permit before you go. You will need to scan a copy of both sides of your blue UK disabled badge and a copy of your passport showing your photrgraph and attach them to your email. In the email you need to ask for a 'temprorary handicapped parking permit'. giving the dates you are visiting, where you will be staying whilst there and your full name and address (in the UK) for the permit to be sent to you by mail. They will give you a telephone number to call to pay for it and once you have done this they will send it to you by post. It is $15 and you can use most cards but not VISA. If you want to collect one in person you wil still need to produce your UK badge and your passport at the local tax collectors office. I find it much easier to sort it out before I go. I applied for mine last Tuersday and got an email back the same day. I rang to make the payment and I am expecting the permit any day now.

The permit entitles you to use 'handicapped' bays but you must still pay parking charges where they are applicable i.e. Theme parks. Most shopping and dining places are free to park at. Getting the permit means you adhere to the law in Florida.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Manchester, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: disabled badge

Hi. Can you not use your usual blue badges from the UK? Am I not able to just use my Uk blue badges?

Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 23
4. Re: disabled badge

"Can you not use your usual blue badges from the UK? Am I not able to just use my Uk blue badges?"

There is no guarantee the state of Florida will honor it. Same dilemma with other, US states. They may or may not. If not, you get a parking citation (and fine).

sussex
reviews: 11
5. Re: disabled badge

I'm also interested to know if I can just take the blue badge as i only want to use it in the parks. I'm sure I read on here that the parks recognise our blue badge just not on public highways and carparks.

Seaham, United...
6. Re: disabled badge

The parks may (at their discretion) allow you to park in or near their handicapped parking lot. If you use a UK blue badge to park anywhere else then you risk getting a citation (fine). It is so easy to comply with Florida state law that I really don't understand why you would not want to get the correct permit. As I explained in post no. 2, it is quick and easy to do and for the sake of $15 you will comply with the law.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 18
7. Re: disabled badge

No,you cannot use your handicapped badge from the UK. There is no reciprocity between countries for that. You can probably park in handicapped parking at the theme parks because they are private property and can set their own rules but you cannot park in the handicapped spots in stores,restaurants,malls,public streets,hotels or anywhere else in florida without a Florida handicapped sticker. Well,you can but there is a very large fine and you may get towed as well. It is truly easy to comply with the law;why take the chance-unless you are just going to Disney and even they may not recognize something from the UK.

Kelso, United...
reviews: 10
8. Re: disabled badge

Pretty sure a US disabled badge wouldn't be recognised in the UK knowing our traffic wardens

Seaham, United...
9. Re: disabled badge

Susie,

Some of the traffic wardens where I live have difficulty in recognising the UK badge!

Regards,

Deaconblue

manchester uk
10. Re: disabled badge

The wife is a wheelchair user and we did not bring her blue badge with us we just told the car park staff at disney and we were told to park in the disabled bays as it was not a problem. At busch gardens there was no staff on the car park we enquired at guest services and the guy told us not to worry as it was private property so we could not be fined, at the outlet mall we just parked in a normal bay as it didn't matter where you park as you can only be close to a small number of stores just mean't we had to push a bit further.

Reply to: disabled badge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted