We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 47
Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

We are going to Universal Orlando for four days in December. We have an additional two days that we would like to spend at a beach. I have been to the gulf coast several times, but never to the Atlantic side. We were thinking about taking the 4-5 hour drive to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach.

1. Is it worth driving that far or is there somewhere nicer closer to Orlando?

2. Which beach is nicer Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach?

Thanks a lot!

Orlando, FL
1. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

Playalinda Beach on the Atlantic - part of the Canaveral National Seashore - is almost unspoiled except for paved parking lots, restroom facilities and wood dune cross-over structures. It is located just north of the Kennedy Space Center and about an hour's drive east of Orlando. Playalinda is a favorite of mine due to the lack of tacky boardwalks and the associated other touristy stuff like hotels, etc.

There's also Cocoa Beach pn the Atlantic - about an hour's drive east from I-Drive using Rt 528.

On the west coast - there's Clearwater Beach - about a 2+ hours drive.

Personally, I prefer Ft. Lauderdale Beach to Miami - easier and more convenient and not as pricey.

Calgary, Canada
2. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

We have been to Cocoa and New Smyrna (Up from Daytona) on the Atlantic side and our boys loved boogie boarding in the waves! We also went to Clearwater on the Golf side, no waves but the sand was wonderful.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
reviews: 4
3. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

Cocoa Beach is a great beach & town and it's only 45 minutes or so from Orlando.

united kingdom
reviews: 3
4. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

Mamia/ Fortlauadale in my opinion is not worth the 4-5 hour drive.

The gulf coast beaches are deafainatly the best , Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, Clearwater. Cocoa beach is nice. Daytona is tacky and you are more likely to get knocked down on the beach than crossing the road. There are some nice uncrowded beaches south of Cocoa beach at Melbourn and near a large airforce base.

wisconsin
reviews: 12
5. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

go towards clearwater but take hwy 19 north to honeymoon island and you can get on the ferry to go to caladesi island- It is one of the best beaches I have ever been to ( been to fort lauderdale nice but too far) Caladesi island is a state park - very few people and lots of big big shells- take hwy 19 north to curwin road and take a left! you run into honeymoon state park!! From orlando take I4 to 270 tampa and then I believe hwy 60 to hwy 19!!!!111 ITS AWESOME AND OYU CAN FIND PICTURES ON BEST BEACHES RANKED # 4 IN USA!!!!1

liverpool
reviews: 40
6. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

I would recommend travelling up west cost towards St Augustine some real knockout beaches and St Augustine is brill oldest place in the states i believe

liverpool
reviews: 40
7. Re: Which beach to visit while vacationing in Orlando?

sorry sorry I mean the east coast to St Augustine !!!!!!!!