We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saffys-mum

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
reviews: 2
Saffys-mum

just a quick line hope you and your family and all our forum friends in Florida will be ok during the hurricane and i hope that not to much damage is done.

Florida
reviews: 12
1. Re: Saffys-mum

My area of Florida was simply brushed by the hurricane, low lying flooding,winds around 40-50 mph dead branches on ground, truly not really anything near how it could have been. The remainder of the Gulf coast has not been that fortunate, Tampa was hit by by several tornados and has flooding and as you continue up from there the situation simply gets worse. The people to be concerned with are those from about Destin to Pensacola it appears that they will receive the brunt of this, the very areas that Ivan took out last year. I have a friend who has chosen not to evacuate from that area I am very concerned for her and others like her. Everyone has their personal reasons for why they do or do not leave and unless you have been in that situation you can never truly understand the agony that goes into their decision.Thank you for your post, it is a little thing but it means so much that someone cares beyond what we can do for them on their holiday. Regards. Saffys-Mum

Windsor UK
reviews: 7
2. Re: Saffys-mum

Our thoughts are also with the people of Florida.Last year we talked to many after hurricane Charlie and where in the Port Charlotte area just after the storms its incredible the amount of damage that can be done.You sometimes pay a heavy price for living were you do.

Florida
reviews: 12
3. Re: Saffys-mum

mikeuk You were in Punta Gorda last year? Then you have seen the results of these storms, unfortunately much of Punta Gorda still looks the same and as you drive past on 75 there is still a field full of FEMA(Federal Emergency Management Agency) trailers. Not only do these people still have no home they are being kicked out of the trailers because they are only meant as temporary housing and the limit is a year. To add insult to injury Punta Gorda was flooded again with this storm. It can be a heavy toll to live in "paradise" but it really is unusual. My area of Florida hadn't had a hurricane come ashore since 1960 yet last year 4 of them. What were the chances? Most of us continue to think the odds are in our favor and stay and goodness knows every year more and more people move here.

Windsor UK
reviews: 7
4. Re: Saffys-mum

I didn't fully understand why everybody doesn't evacuate untill i spoke to locals and their determination to carry on and help others ,i know the area has a high population of elderly people and the most basic of things of water and fuel were hard to come by for a few days afterwards but your emergency departments seemed very good in responding to the situation.But as you say more people are living in florida all the time and this in the future will not help ,lets hope you don't have another year like the last one.Take care.