We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transporation Suggestions

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 3
Transporation Suggestions

I need help with transporation suggestions. I am travelling with a friend who will have 4 children with her, ages 8-14, for a total of five people for whom she'll be paying for transporation. What do you think is the most economic means for her to handle this? We're staying at the Doubletree at Universal and are planning a day at Seaworld and probably 3 days at the various Disney parks. I know we can take the I Ride Trolley from our hotel to Seaworld for little cost, but I'm afraid that if she's paying daily for 5 people on a shuttle to the Disney parks (at $14.00 per day per person roundtrip) then she's going to incur expenses that are just too high. Do you think renting a car is the best option? Or more like renting an SUV? I'm thinking that taking public transportation from Doubletree Universal to the Disney parks is going to be to big of a pain. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Orlando, FL
1. Re: Transporation Suggestions

Do the math + ...Rent a van or mid-sized car that seats 6

- not an SUV gas guzzler.

Renting a small van for the 6 of you will be your best bet and allow you flexibility in your travels. It will be a time saver as well.

michigan
reviews: 8
2. Re: Transporation Suggestions

Have you thought about switching hotels in the middle of the trip. For example, stay at Doubletree, and take the I-Trolly to Sea World. The I-Trolly is 75 per person each way. I assume the Doubletree can accomodate your transportation needs to Universal?

Then, when you are ready to go to Disney, stay at a value resort inside Disney. I believe a disney resort gives you the transportation to their parks. You will have to find transportation to the resort, though.

It is going to be a lot of hassle trying to take all this public transportation. You might be better off thinking about a mini van.

If the majority of your trip is going to be at Disney World, then you might want to consider booking at a value resort. I checked rates last week to stay on a Monday night, and they gave me a rate of $99 at one of their value resorts.

If you split up the locations, this would cut down on the back and forth transportation needs.

Let me know what you find out.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 29
3. Re: Transporation Suggestions

There are several main transportation methods, let me list them all for you:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: The local public transportation system is called LYNX, the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority. LYNX can take you almost anywhere you need to go in Central Florida. Standard bus fare is $1.50 per person and bus tranfers are free. Visit the LYNX website for more info: http://www.golynx.com

TAXI CABS: Taxi cabs are more expensive than public transportation but they offer direct and private transportation to wherever you need to go in Central Florida. Major local taxi cab companies are: Yellow Cab, Checker Cab, Ace Metro, AAA Diamond, and others..

MEARS SHUTTLES: Mears Transportation Co. has a large fleet of shuttles that go to and from major attractions, hotels, and the airport. Sometimes these shuttles can get more expensive than taxi cabs because the trip is paid per person. For more info on Mear's shuttles visit: http://www.mearstransportation.com

HOTEL SHUTTLES: Some hotels and resorts offer shuttle transportation to major attractions for guests, some hotels have a fee and some dont. For more info on hotel shuttles you should call the hotel directly.

CAR RENTAL: And this of course is the last option. Driving can have its advantages and disadvantages, one being that theme park parking fees are commonly expensive ($5+) and another being the high gas prices to refill the tank. You can rent a car from any of the major car rental companies at the airport car rental counters.

Hope this helped. Have Fun!

USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Transporation Suggestions

If one of you has AAA go through them to book a Hertz Rental Car, you can get a great rate (we got 42% off what Hertz normally charges). If no AAA then go to Alamo