We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 3
why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

hi all,

when we went over christmas and new year last year it was very cold and we asked the the manager why it was so cold, bearing in mind i always think of florida as the sunshine state and i was surprised when the manager said that it was there winter from december through to late march and it was cold and was even more surprised when it said that the locals dress for the cold and brits and people who come from outside of the states always in shorts even in the cold.

i suppose when the sun is out but still cold they still count that towards the sunshine state

we went over over xmas for some sunshine and was surprised by how cold it was and will now only visit from april through to november just to make sure that i get the hot wearther that i like

but some people might like the cold and should pack for the cold and not make the mistake that i made of not taking any warm clothes but went with shorts etc.

if going from dec-march take clothes that can be worn in layers and taken off when it gets hot and put on when it gets cold

pam

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
1. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Southern Florida is usually much warmer in the winter than it is in Orlando. I can remember visiting Orlando for the first time some years ago and was surprised how cool the evenings were. I don't visit Orlando anymore and haven't done for a long time with the except of when Wilma hit Miami and we had to get out because of no power and the hotel where we were staying was wrecked. I avoid the summer months because I don't like the rainy bit in the afternoon. Also after being caught up in Wilma I try to avoid the hurricane season. I don't think people realise that different parts of Florida have a temperature variation and they just expect sunshine every day of the year.

reviews: 19
2. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

It may be ever so teensy weensy bit off topic but I am not going to be surprised by the 5 inches of snow that are going to fall on Britain tonight. Therefore I have made plans to stay in for the whole day except for a bit of sledging and amking a snowman.

A Snowman turns to another snowman and says 'Can you smell carrots?'

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Here we go - ickle bit of snow and the south grinds to a halt. Been snowing last 3 days in sunny Aberdeenshire. Soft southern shandy swilling soppy wet girls blouses the lot of you. No offence intended.

Orlando, Florida
4. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

I can't tell you how disappointed I am today because it's sunny out. I thought it was supposed to be rainy or foggy here all the time!

england
5. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

My favourite time to visit Orlando is early May. Lovely weather - not too muggy or too much rain and most of all not too crowded in theme parks. My least favourite was August when it was all of the previously mentioned.

However if you are a big themepark and Disney fan I would highly recommend taking a trip during Nov/Dec to see the parks and resorts decked out for the Season. Yes it is chilly and gets dark earlier but if you go knowing this you will enjoy seeing the special things they put on for Christmas. Probably best time to ge for this would be during first 2 weeks December and you can do some Christmas shopping whilst you are there.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
reviews: 187
6. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Just got back, it was 86 in Orlando the weekend we arrived, then they had a "cold snap" (70) in Miami the following week and St Pete varied from the 70s to the 50s.

Even though I had to wear jeans instead of shorts or a dress for 2 whole evenings I would not miss going in January/February especially with the weather I have come home to!!

At this time of the year it is a lottery there but so worth it for us.

Having said that, we were under a Tornado watch last Thursday night, fortunately it passed us by, so awful for the poor people it didn't pass.

reviews: 19
7. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Tell me more about the swimsuits

West Palm Beach
8. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Since Orlando is further North, it does get much colder there than other parts of (South) Florida

I've been there when it's been in the 40s before!

England-Grew up...
reviews: 39
9. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Sue is right - South Florida can often be many degrees above even Clearwater!

This is the reason even a basic 3,star hotel in Ft Lauderdale is not close to $200 a night - everyone wants to be in south Florida and it just full of snow birds in the winter!

Sue - I was there 2 weeks after Wilma and it was such a mess!!!!

Winnipeg
reviews: 2
10. Re: why is everyone surprised about the wearther in orlando

Even 40 F in Florida is 80 degrees warmer than it has been here the last few weeks....that's why we can wear shorts in Florida "winter", it feels like a heat wave to us. 48 days and counting until we arrive...can hardly wait!