We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Hi all! I am thinking of booking a two bedroom marina villa this July using Citibank American Advantage points and I was wondering if anyone has done this before. Is it still considered booking directly with the hotel so I don't pay resort fees? Also, does anyone have the particular unit numbers of the 1 or two bedroom villas that are more up to date -- marina or beach.

Many thanks,

Best,

Sisi

The Bakery
reviews: 26
1. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

If you want the resort facilities, book thru the resort. It gets very expensive renting a condo them paying that VERY large fee for each adult and you MUST pay for the full length of your stay upon arrival.

The resort will NOT guarantee a specific unit, but will attempt to do so. That's pretty much true everywhere. Can help with unit number, but any unit rented by owners or thru and agency will NOT be in the resort rental program.

Captiva Island...
Destination Expert
for Captiva Island, Sanibel Island
reviews: 28
2. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

As with other programs that I am more familiar with, I am assuming you will be booking directly with the resort, or an agent of the resort. There would be no other way to redeem your points when booking, right? Meaning you can't do a private rental or an Island Agency Rental, so your booking HAS to be through the resort.

When booking directly through the resort, you will still be paying a resort fee per person per day. Though the fee is significantly lower than when booking through a private owner. The fee is $15 per day plus tax for adults.

Like Tourmaline wrote, you can not request a particular unit, but you can ask to be moved if you are not happy upon check in. July is rather slow on the Island so there should be a lot of vacancies.

Edited: 8:59 am, April 18, 2013
New York
3. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Thank you very much for your feedback -- I will be sure to call my credit card company first to make sure they're doing this through the resort.

New York
4. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Thanks! That is true -- hopefully since July is slower, I can see the room first and request another if we're not too happy. Much appreciated.

ottawa
5. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

I would rent at the BeachCondos /Bayside condos / or Tennis condos .. thru an owner .. but that's my take .. the resort fees should not come into play if you stay in that area .. the North end SS resort area isn't worth the extra cost IMHO .. I also like being able to walk to Captiva villa which is very close to the Bayside or Tennis condos.

Captiva Island...
Destination Expert
for Captiva Island, Sanibel Island
reviews: 28
6. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Just my humble opinion but this forum gets the most complaints about the Bayside and Tennis Villas. I would choose the Beach Villas over those myself.

I agree with you on the resort fees not being worth it, rent through an owner or an Agency and the per person per DAY resort fee is a whopping $75 bucks! You can stay in any of those units without paying any resort fee at all as long as you do not want access to anything with in the resort. This INCLUDES all of the restaurants, pools, activities, shops, Trolley shuttle etc....

Staying in the South end and walking to the Village for restaurants, etc...is a great option, as each Villa area has it's own pool and grills that you can access without paying the resort fee.

I don't think that the OP can rent through owner as they are trying to redeem Citibank points for lodging rewards!

New York
7. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look intot that.

New York
8. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

Good points - -much appreciated. Alot to think about. :) thanks!

Gardners...
reviews: 14
9. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

I would go with the beach villas. We have rented privately and stayed thru the resort both

10. Re: South Seas Resort -- Where to Stay?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 27, 2014