We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee Saved on Captiva!

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Captiva Island...
Destination Expert
for Captiva Island, Sanibel Island
reviews: 28
Manatee Saved on Captiva!

beachparadise posted the info at the end of another thread. Thought this deserved a post of its own, here's the News Press link:

news-press.com/article/20130411/ENT13/130411…

Poor thing, I hope she recovers!

Edited: 8:25 am, April 12, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
1. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

So glad you shared this one, Bean. Such an encouraging story of human consideration / compassion for our fellow creatures. Darned old Red Tide....

The Bakery
reviews: 26
2. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

You know, it does make me feel better about the islands to know they work so hard for the endangered manatee. It's one of the many reasons I like them so much. Thanks Bean

3. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:49 pm, April 12, 2013
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 6
4. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

Thanks for sharing such a nice story, I too hope she gets well soon.

Utica, Michigan
5. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

Great story. I read that a few days ago. My wife thinks I'm nuts for having these Florida wildlife rescue phone numbers programed in my cell phone but one day it will come in handy, even though we only visit paradise one or twice a year. Eventually I will live in paradise permanently! Not having a spring in Michigan this year is increasing the sense of urgency! Watching the webcams is getting old...

Captiva Island...
Destination Expert
for Captiva Island, Sanibel Island
reviews: 28
6. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

I hear you KNUTER, I'm in your neck of the woods and it's 39 here.

We rescued an Ibis once, tangled and injured in fishing line. Called C.R.O.W, it was after hours and someone met us there and took the bird from us. Kids had to stop in and check on the bird every day after that. And about the webcams...I need to see some sharks or something!!!!

Utica, Michigan
7. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

Well said bean!

Madison, Indiana
reviews: 23
8. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

And that's what makes these islands so special to so many of us. Mutual respect for the species....what a great experience for those kids, too--they will never forget the part they played in saving a life.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
9. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

Thank you so much for giving us this link.

Was very upset at the deaths in Lemon Bay of manatees over the RT outbreak. Great to see a good outcome.

cptuitma
reviews: 11
10. Re: Manatee Saved on Captiva!

She did recover, but we found she was really a he What a special day this was for our families.,