We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

We are planning a last minute vacation and are considering Sunset Captiva units 24, 30 or 39? I can't find any reviews on the first two...does anyone have any experience of these? I would like something as clean and updated as possible. The lack of reviews is making me nervous! But I want to book soemthing soon before it is too late. Thanks for any response!

The Bakery
reviews: 26
1. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

I've not stayed in those units, but only 30 has a fully updated kitchen and baths. 39 is partially updated and 24 somewhat updated, which some older furnishings.

I'd go for 30 myself. But for the most updated unit, see this one:

www.captiva-island.com/amrc/sun16cap.htm

Different agency, but one I've used many times and located just a block away in the village.

Captiva
reviews: 6
2. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Here's another updated Sunset Captiva house with a new granite kitchen and updated baths. SC #57 is a rare model with 3 separate bedrooms -2 kings and one with bunkbed, plus a semi-private loft with full size bed. I just toured it last week and it was very clean and crisp.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3518994

Miami
reviews: 3
3. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Do keep in mind that the lower the number unit, the closer it is to the beach at Sunset Captiva.

So, the 3 original units are quite a bit closer than 57--that one is almost at the entrance (ie adjacent to the main road). Not that it's a noisy/high traffic area, but in terms of the daily walk to and from the beach, it is farther to go.

Florida, Missouri
reviews: 36
4. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

You have probably already noticed that #16 is only available one week in May, one in June, and one in July. If money doesn't matter, I'd go with #30 too. But there's an $800 difference. so that's something to consider. I don't worry about lack of reviews. They can be faked by owners friends anyway. It's the bad reviews to be concerned with, I think.

The Bakery
5. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Wow, #16 has booked out fast since first mentioned here just a few weeks back! It's a good buy in 2013, but I bet the rates increase next year.

Miami
6. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Although it isn't rented out by Royal Shell or AMRC anymore, we stayed a few years ago in Sunset Captiva 33, and it is a very nice unit. Here is the link I found on VRBO:

http://www.vrbo.com/346841#page-top-most

Not sure if it's available when you want it, or what the new owner's rates really are (the summer rate is WAY off scale for the complex, at $2700+ for a week). But I can say from personal experience it is a lovely well maintained unit and the location is great.. It is on the cul de sac adjacent to the pool/grill/tennis area, and close walking distance to the boardwalk and beach.

The Bakery
7. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

I think I'm still gasping at the prices. Only May seems remotely in line with OFF BEACH 2 bed/2 bath units. It is nice, but not worth what they're asking.

Miami
8. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

I actually contacted the owner last summer and she offered a weekly rate of $1600 I believe.

We ended up renting at #28 which I liked even more than 33, but at least the price on 33 at that time made sense. What's posted on VRBO now really doesn't.

Centerville, Ohio
reviews: 7
9. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Did you have any problems with roaches in unit 28 at Sunset Captiva. We stayed last June and had a major roach infestation that was not addressed by Royal Shell or the Homeowners Assoc. I loved the unit but can't deal with the roaches. Just wondering if you saw any? Thanks.

Hexham, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Sunset Captiva Units 24, 30, or 39? Any opinions?

Hey KMG14 and MiamiBucaneerGirl. As you are probably aware (from the last post I commented about this) I am the owner of #28. I believe the roach infestation was reported to us after KMG14 stayed at our unit and this was dealt with the homeowner association and Royal Shell. It was dealt with effectively and there are no roaches in our unit anymore. As a family we have stayed in September, January, and April. The house has just been painted inside and out, the lower bedroom has been re-done with new furniture and we hope you all love your stay as much as we do.

Kind Regards,

John Pike