We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
evergreen, colorado
reviews: 20
Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Frontier Airlines flies 1 non-stop/day from Denver in/out of Ft Myers. They've now made the late arrival time much later (11:00pm!!) and the early departure time much earlier (6:25am!!)

It turns out their only non-stop flights in/out of Tampa are at much more reasonable dinner time hours, also $60 less/ticket, so we're contemplating flying from Tampa. How long is the drive between Tampa and Captiva? Is it a reasonably nice and/or easy drive? And, God forbid, does it entail crossing that Sunshine Skyway Bridge?

We're not going until spring but I like to track airfares and figure our what we're doing ahead of time. Thanks!!

evergreen, colorado
11. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Good question! Worth investigating! =)

Plymouth, Indiana
reviews: 17
12. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

If you wait a little longer I am sure you will find decent fares from DEN to RSW. I saw fares below $200 listed, but these were through Feb.

Linda of Bonita

evergreen, colorado
13. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Good to know! Not only is Frontier the only airline w /non-stop DEN/RSW flights, their fares are always the best. Right now the roundtrip fare is $356 but I will definitely wait for that price to drop. Now if they could just schedule these flights a little better...... =)

Naples, FL
reviews: 3
14. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

You didn't say when in the spring you were traveling, but Frontier runs a second set of non stops (708/709) at better hours, until sometime in mid may. Also, if you are thinking of making the long drive from Tampa, consider Ft.Lauderdale instead. MapsOn Us says it is about the same 2 1/2 hour drive, but there is a lot less ttraffic on I75, from FLL to Naples.

Colorado
15. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Dawg,

Hi from a fellow Coloradoan! FYI I was tinkering with the Tampa/ RSW thing myself for Thanksgiving, and I ended up getting tickets to RSW basically because they finally came down in price.

**** FYI Frontier's prices go up in the evening, around 4:00pm MST.***

I thought I was seeing things, or had one too many glasses of wine, but I figured out it was true! They were going up by close to a hundred dollars. A friend of mine going with us found the same to be true when he was checking. SOOO shop early. BTW I added an extra day to our trip because I feel so robbed by having to fly in so late and leave so early. Hopefully Frontier will change their schedule soon, or get some competition to RSW.

evergreen, colorado
16. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Thanks for the info, rkav! Unfortunately the house we love to rent is very popular and was only available 5/31-6/7. In fact, this house is so popular it's next available date is 9/08! But I never thought of Ft. Lauderdale, so I will for sure check that out. Frontier did have second, more convenient flights on the days we are travelling until about 3 weeks ago, when those 2nd flights vanished off their schedules. Argh!!

McNaught, that info you gave me is very helpful! Fares going up at dinnertime? What will they think of next? I'm like you, hoping Frontier adds more flights to RSW, hopefully in time for our vacation. It would be less of a big deal if we weren't travelling w/4 kids. By the way, fellow Coloradan =), I love your picture with the burro head in the car. I remember going to Hartsel many years ago and having burros stick their heads in our car!

Colorado
17. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

Thank you Dawg, that picture was taken in Custer State Park. I highly recomend staying there if one wants to tour the South Dakota/Mt Rushmore area. We befriend lots of animals in that park.

18. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:55 am, November 06, 2007
19. Re: Drive from Tampa to Captiva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 12, 2009