We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Postojna, Slovenia
reviews: 32
Curious

Hi, I'm just curios - what are those (two?) things (ships?) parked at sea near Miami's South Beach?

They're always there and more other ships come near and go away, but some stay there night and day...

Thanks! :)

5 replies to this topic
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: Curious

E>

Unless you have spotted a UFO, it is possible they are off-shore dredging vessels that pump sand from the bottom of the sea back onto the beach to widen the sandy area that erodes with wind and tide.

Otherwise, you may be seeing fishing boats (?) or other commercial watercraft working off shore.

AG

Edited: 10:45 am, June 19, 2014
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 6
2. Re: Curious

Almost. They are dredges, but this time they are working to deepen the shipping channel for PortMiami to 52 feet (from the current 44 feet). This is in anticipation of handling larger ships at the port sometime late next year. I posted a photo here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50545113@N07/14272513819/

In the picture they look closer than they really are due to use of the zoom lens.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 56
3. Re: Curious

coincidentally, the CEO of the company doing the dredging--Great Lakes Dredge and Dock--is one of my oldest friends, dating back to grade school.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 6
4. Re: Curious

That's cool. It's a $200+ million contract.

Postojna, Slovenia
reviews: 32
5. Re: Curious

You guys are awesome, thanks! :)

Reply to: Curious
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted