We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach and getting around

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Beach and getting around

My wife and I are traveling up from Key West and have 2 days in Miami before we fly out. Have a rental car and was wondering about getting around in the South beach area. Is it easily maneuvered with a car and is parking a hassle? Also any tips for places to check out on a Friday night??Any clubs for the 40 -somethings?

2 replies to this topic
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 6
1. Re: South Beach and getting around

Parking is a hassle, esp on weekends. You don't really need a car, the area is very compact, plus there is a 25c local bus, so if you don't have to have the car, best to not keep it in south beach. That said, parking is not as bad as in Chicago or NYC, and you can probably find a city parking garage and leave the car there for $20 per day. I would leave it parked and not use it much, it's harder to find spots on weekends.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 56
2. Re: South Beach and getting around

Besides the SoBe Local bus, which I used for the month of May, there are also local golf cart taxi services--such as SWOOP--that I used. No charge, but they do work for tips...there is also Deco bike rentals throughout the area that is a great way to get around the beach, at least during the days....agree with comment above that a car is not necessary--why pay $40/day rental plus $30 or more to park it at night at your hotel when you have these other less expensive alternatives.

As far as clubbing, you might enjoy the SLS Hyde Beach and Delano Hotel scene at night. Fun atmosphere, though I wouldn't exactly call it clubbing.....You might also wish to check out the 3 story 1826 Restaurant and Lounge (1826 Collins Ave) or Cavalli Club (in South of Fifth near Prime One Twelve...combo restaurant/lounge)......for music, check out the back room bar (sorry, cannot recall the name) at The Gale Hotel.

Reply to: South Beach and getting around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted