We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loews or James Royal Palm for 3 days???

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 2
Loews or James Royal Palm for 3 days???

It appears as though JRP gives free chairs on the beach and with Loews we would have to pay?? They both look nice....rooms look a little nicer at Loews....both seem to be in a great location and on the beach. Any thoughts on these two hotels would be a great help.

1 reply
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
reviews: 7
1. Re: Loews or James Royal Palm for 3 days???

Greetings C from M'land,

A few thoughts:

- You are absolutely right, both are in perfect locations.... very near to each other and in fact, may actually be side-by-side but can't remember. Both directly on the beach and easy walking distance to Lincoln Road Mall, shops on Collins, and Ocean Drive.

- The Loews has two buildings. The main big one is much newer than the other but both have current interiors My guess is the rooms you saw were of the new building.

- We've stayed at both but the JRP is under new management (regardless where you stay, the history of JRP is...we will say... "interesting." It's history was displayed on a wall somewhere and worth the read... regardless of the hotel you choose.) My guess is the JRP has been remodelled, or at least changed, under the current management.

- The Loews is very much a corporate, convention hotel with lots of families and at times, business folks attending a convention. It's probably my wife's second favorite next to Ritz Carlton. However, it's WAY too big and corporate for me. It's a great 4-star hotel with a consistent high-end product... but not much different than a 4-star hotel at any other beach destination.

- It's been too long since we stayed at the JRP (in fact, was simply called the Royal Palm when we did) so can't speak to it... however my guess is that it's a bit more boutique feel to it but perhaps too large to be considered a true boutique hotel.

If you want something big, very nice, and more of a "resort" feel - I'd suggest Loews. If you want to experiment a bit and try something new, I'd consider JRP.

MHO,

SBF

Edited: 10:17 am, June 17, 2014
Reply to: Loews or James Royal Palm for 3 days???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted