We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from mid beach to south beach?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
Walking from mid beach to south beach?

Planning a stay around 41st and collins ave/mid beach area. Wondering if walking south on the boardwalk is a realistic option. 1.5 mi or so? I assume south beach begins around 22nd street? We are driving there but I worry about paying more $$$$ for parking around the sobe area when I already have to dish out a lot of $$$ to park at hotel. Just wanted to get other ppls opinion?

Also, if we do take the bus or cab it or drive whatever, what should be the first stop to experience south beach for the first time? Consider we will have kids with us so that eliminates the topless areas :-( Any portion of sobe I should avoid or not kid friendly?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Miami Beach...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

I don't think it is that bad of a walk. Especially, if you are all healthy. And SOBE is more like Lincoln Rd (between 16th and 17th) south to 5 th or even 1st to the Pier (that isn't quite finished yet) You might be too tired to walk back though. You definitely should avoid driving and parking. A taxi would probably to $10-$15 depending how far south you needed to go. We also have the deco bike sharing program that is pretty popular but that is $4 each time you rent it. I can't comment on the local bus system except that I know it's popular and used a lot. I heard it's .25 cents and called the South Beach Local. As for where to keep your kids away from??? I don't notice a lot of nudity.

Miami Beach, Florida
2. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

The public bus line S runs 24-hours a day for just $2.25 and free for kids.

That walk would take you anywhere between 45 minutes to one hour depending on your initial position and the speed with which you walk. It is realistic and actually following the Boardwalk it is a great way to explore the area.

Lincoln Road would definitely be a good area to walk around with kids. It is a strip closed to cars, so one less thing to worry about when walking around with the kids.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

Boy>

If the hotel charges a parking rate per day without an additional charge if you drive in and out, there is no reason not to use your car to sightsee since standing in the heat waiting for a bus with kids doesn't seem like a fun way to vacation. It is MUCH hotter & more humid here than it probably is in Chicago!

There are AMPLE parking lots and garages on South Beach so you can pack a roll of quarters in your suitcase to feed a meter or simply pull into a parking garage and pay the attendant when you depart.

This link has easy maps to area attractions, to the 25 cent shuttle bus and to parking garages (indicated with a bright blue P). Just print them before you fly.

southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

Definitely drive over the 395 causeway to find Jungle Island on Watson Island - a fun kid friendly animal park. Mornings are best...

AG

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
4. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

Thanks! I appreciate all the advise!

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 22
5. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

The boardwalk is a nice walk. "South Beach" as far as visitors go is usually defined as the area bounded on the east by the ocean, the west by the west side of Washington Avenue, the south by the port inlet, and the north by 23d street, with extensions west into Espanola way and (highly recommended) Lincoln Road, which is pedestrian-only between Washington and Alton. There is also a new thriving entertainment and restaurant area on Biscayne Bay. on and around Purdy Avenue. I strongly advise AGAINST using a car for local, in-Miami-Beach transport. Use the 25 cent shuttle buses, or just walk, and keep your car in a city garage. Also, there is no "topless area" on the beach, just an occasional topless sunbather here and there.

GardeniaPalm
reviews: 22
6. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

I don't have any problem with it, but I don't mind walking.

As long as you have comfortable shoes, and are in somewhat decent shape, you should be fine.

Washington, DC
reviews: 4
7. Re: Walking from mid beach to south beach?

I visit South Beach 4-5 times/year. The advice you've received so far is generally good. If your family is healthy, fit, walk-everywhere types, walking that distance is totally reasonable. If you live out in the 'burbs and usually drive everywhere, you would probably find it to be a long, hot walk. Lincoln Road (~17th St) and Espinola Way (~14th St) are all I can think of in terms of discreet tourist destinations in SoBe - it's more of a neighborhood or group of neighborhoods. The South Point part of SoBe I find to be a cool place to hang out, but that would be a monster walk (~4 miles?).

As far as topless women on the beach, that's pretty UNcommon above about 17th Street...and then it's pretty common from 17th Street down to the end of the beach (1st St / South Point). So I guess if seeing topless women is going to be a problem for you, the best strategy would be to get off the beach around 20th Street-ish and walk inland south of there. It would not be realistic to expect to walk the beach south of 17th Street without seeing any topless women sunbathing.

I'll add this one bit, and I have a certain amount of trepidation about suggesting it: the distance from the boardwalk to the actual water in SoBe is really far - 300 feet, maybe more? The topless women are mostly hanging out down by the water, so you're kind of far away to actually even be able to see them from the boardwalk. The reason I hesitate to suggest this is because I've learned that in SoBe, you never know. One day you could walk the entire boardwalk without being able to see a topless lady. The next day the entire U Miami cheerleading class of 20XX reunion might walk across the boardwalk from their hotel to the beach wearing nothing but butt-floss thong bottoms - trust me, I'm not imaginative enough to make that up (ask me about the Moons Across Miami photo). FWIW, there are tons of kids on South Beach, playing in the sand next to topless women with no problems. Of course, kids in SoBe are more likely to be from Brazil than Kansas, so that might explain it.

Reply to: Walking from mid beach to south beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted