We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach Questions

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elizabeth City...
reviews: 10
South Beach Questions

1st time going to the beach - and I need help!! Are there any areas better than others? Would like to be able to rent chairs; be very near places to eat; sport rentals (maybe)... and people watching. My 14 yo son will be with me & he wants to "babe" watch. We have traveled the Caribbean so topless bathing won't be a shocker to him BUT I don't want to take him to a beach where we (or I) will be frowned upon.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 7
1. Re: South Beach Questions

The best part of the beach is the one that is a convenient walk from your hotel, i.e. there isn't any part that's really that much worse or better. Chairs and umbrellas are available everywhere. There are subtle differences. The beach south of 3 Street is my favorite because it is less crowded and the sand is more firm. Around 3 Street it tends to draw a local crowd from the mainland esp on weekends, 5 to 15 Street is a mix of locals and tourists, more likely to find people with music players or footballs, around 12 Street is the gay beach, 15 to 21 are the larger beachfront hotel with more tourists.

I would not spend much time worrying about where to go, all parts os south beach are safe and fun, and it's wide enough so you can always find a quiet spot if you want one.

Edit: and no one will frown on you unless you're being loud or taking a dog to the beach, or something like that.

Edited: 4:09 pm, June 12, 2013
Elizabeth City...
reviews: 10
2. Re: South Beach Questions

Thanks for your input. We are staying downtown & would taxi to the beach. When the taxi driver asks "where to" I'd like to be prepared to tell him LOL

reviews: 15
3. Re: South Beach Questions

Maybe your hotel has a sister hotel on the beach. If so, perhaps an arrangement can be made for loungers

etc.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
4. Re: South Beach Questions

Or, head for a beach closer to the restrooms. There are restrooms at 3 Street, 6 Street, and 14 Street (also South Pointe and 21 Street). For you, I suggest 14 Street, it's a convenient walk from there to other places you can go later, such as Lincoln Road Mall. You can ask the taxi to drop you off at Ocean Drive and 14 Street.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
5. Re: South Beach Questions

To revive this thread a bit, I noticed you asked about sports rentals. There are sports rentals at 15 Street. You can see the rules and rates here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50545113@N07/8542450479/

The photo incorrectly says 9 Street (where they also have a branch). Your son won't be able to rent a Jetski, being under 21, but possibly he can go parasailing (though I am not sure). I think they also rent kayaks there.

Edited: 12:18 pm, June 19, 2013
6. Re: South Beach Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 21, 2014