We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Advisor Girl

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach
Question for Advisor Girl

Hi

Been reading your postings and seems as if you really got ahold of Miami... so might as well go to the expert. I am an American born Colombian Women looking for a great Colombia restaurant so I can remember what my mom used to cook before she became Americanized. Also I was looking for neat cultural things, that could be both Colombian and Cuban, as my step dad is Cuban, to do during the day. I've been reading about Calle Ocho but have heard it is really dangerous. Any other suggestion would be awesome...

Thanks

Mel

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: Question for Advisor Girl

Wow!

I do not know why the opinion on this forum is that Calle Ocho is dangerous... I have directed people to the cigar factories and bodegas there for months and never thought I was sending anyone into harm's way.

In fact, I will be in your city very soon and although Angelinos tend to shy away from Boyle Heights, that's my first stop for "real food..." So as our great diplomat Doris Day sang, "Que Sera Sera..."

At this point I will take ANY tips you have for adventures in your town.

Meanwhile - read this:

Best Colombian Restaurant

Sanpocho

901 SW Eighth Street (yes Calle Ocho!)

Miami 33130

305-854-5954

We like to visit this clean little two-year-old Colombian joint in a nondescript East Little Havana strip mall Sunday afternoons, when the mondongo and sancocho ($5.50 each with rice) are at their zenith. These soups are the basis of the weekend diet in Bogota and beyond -- and here they are cooked to perfection, particularly the tripe in the mondongo. Indeed Colombianos from across Miami-Dade County, at least the patriotic ones, make their way here to enjoy the Aguila and Club Colombia Beer ($2.75 per bottle) while they nibble on bread and talk of home. Visitors with hearty appetites order the churrasco, a paragon of meaty perfection, which comes with a baked potato and salad for $8.95. The lucky ones get to chat with Amparo Valencia, the owner who hails from Armenia, which, in case you didn't know, is a city in the west-central mountains of Colombia.

If you decide to visit Calle Ocho, make a trip in the afternoon and wander the shops and cigar storefronts. See Domino Park and the monuments. Afterward, have dinner at Sanpocho and PLEASE post a trip report when you return to Long Beach.

On the other hand -

If you will have no car, or if your trip is restricted to Miami Beach, Check out El Chalan 1580 Washington. If you consider yourself a fusion of Colombian and Cuban heritage, el Chalan is PeruBian (Peruvian & Cuban) and the food is fabulous. "Mi Colombia" is located on 702 71st St, almost on the corner of 71st street. Also check out Las Tablas Colombian Steak House - 710 Washington Ave, Miami Beach (305) 534-3100

Venture by taxi or bus up to the 71st Street and Collins Ave area to get a taste of our South American culture. Not sure of your trip dates, but you can log on to

http://www.rhythmfoundation.com/

to see if the North Beach bandshell will have a concert or a dance to attend during your stay... The shops, bakeries and bars between 68th and 78th street are all wonderful places to get a taste of South America...

If you will be here July 22-23, The Colombian Independence Day Festival will be in full swing at our Expo Center, 10901 SW 24 St (Coral Way) noon- 11pm Miami's sizeable Colombian community turn out in force to celebrate with music, dancing, food and exhibitions.

Have a Wonderful Trip!

AG

2. Re: Question for Advisor Girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 14, 2009