We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean & 6th...whats the area like?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston,ma
Ocean & 6th...whats the area like?

Coming to South Beach for Spring Break w. a bunch of my colleg girlfriends. We are staying at the Beach Paradise Hotel @ 600 Ocean Dr. Whats the area like?? Are there any liquor and convenience stores nearby where we can pick up things like food, bottled water and alcohol??

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
reviews: 7
1. Re: Ocean & 6th...whats the area like?

The area of Ocean (now called Deco Drive!) and 6th is towards the south end of the Action Area but still very much in it. I'm not that familiar with that block of Ocean/Deco Drive to know what's exactly there but I do know you can walk a block or two towards the west (Collins and then Washington) and you'll find plenty of places for food, water and booze. I buy my bottled water at Walgreen's (Lincoln and Collins), my beer at CVS (Lincoln between Collins and Washington), and liquor at a small liquor store on Collins between Lincoln and 17th. All of those would be a long walk back to your hotel (or cheap cab ride) but I'm sure you can find something closer.

Look carefully at the food. The national chains such as CVS and Walgreen's are fine, but some of the "local" stores have dated products. Once place we went to had mold on much of its cheese (gross!) and the fruit was disgusting.

Be sure and check out the shops on and near Collins (one short block to the west of your hotel) from say 5th to around 8th Street. There and Lincoln Road are the two areas with the most shops (but shops dot Ocean and Collins all up and down SoBe).

Have a great time and use lots of sunscreen or your first day will be your last out in the sun as you nurse serious sunburn. UV goes through clouds so even if it's cloudy, use lots of SPF! My wife has had several skin cancers cut off due to a sunburn she got on Spring Break more years ago than we'd want to admit!

Cheers!