We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking in SOBE

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
reviews: 1
Drinking in SOBE

Hi, my boyfriend and I are coming to miami in June to celebrate my 25th birthday. We have never been there and we are curious to know what the overall atmosphere is. Are people walking drunk like in Vegas? Is drinking allowed on the beaches?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
reviews: 7
1. Re: Drinking in SOBE

As a general rule, people are NOT walking drunk. Sure, people are partying but I can't remember seeing people walking the streets falling down and such!

Know that the higher-end clubs are dressy - not like the rest of Florida where tee-shirts and shorts are the norm.

I think technically, alcohol is not allowed on the beach. However, it is very common. My guess is the local police won't give you a hard time unless you're very drunk and causing a problem. I never hit the beach without a large supply of beer (and water as it is VERY hot in June so water is a must or you will get sick! - my rule is generally one water to each beer!). I always bring enough to share in case we meet some folks sitting near us. We have never had any problems but I also don't walk around with an open can!

To some, a bigger issue is glass. Please don't bring beer in bottles to the beach and if you must, take the bottles with you rather than putting them in the trash cans. The automatic equipment often breaks glass making it tough on tender barefoot feet!

You guys will have a great time! June, although hot, is a great time as hotel rates are lower, the evenings are warm, and the ocean is great for swimming!

Cheers!

2. Re: Drinking in SOBE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:35 pm, June 04, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 7
3. Re: Drinking in SOBE

On this line, are there "jean and t shirt" places to drink in Miami beach?

miami, fl
4. Re: Drinking in SOBE

If people are walking around drunk, it must mean that they just came from a club or bar. You are not allowed to bring your drink with you when you leave a club at night if you still have one by that time.

Also, the liquor stores on the beach stop selling liquor around midnight. They only place you are going to be able to get a drink at night will be a club or a bar.

I believe they no longer let you bring beer bottles on the beach. However, you can still drink on the beach. Alot of people buy drinks at Fat Tuesdays and bring them to the beach.

I can honestly tell you that the atmosphere will be pretty stuffy if you're not used to the SOBE crowd. Don't take it personal, people are just rude in Miami and it's usually the people who weren't born here.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: Drinking in SOBE

MzKay:

AB-SO-LOOOT-LY!

In fact, jeans and t-shirts dressing is more prevalent than dressing up here. In June, it's shorts and t-shirts or - if you are comfortable and a girly girl... a cotton skirt or a little sundress is A-OK. I have been to nicer restaurants wearing something special and found men dining in a pique polo (think LaCoste) or a linen camp shirt and a pair of pressed khaki shorts and top siders or loafers. If you are not hell-bent on "making the scene" at some velvet rope club that will scrutinize your fashion choices... there are TONS of really hopping, really fun places to belly up to the bar and have a great time.

The nicer the locale, the better you'll want to dress. The posh hotel lobby bars like the Delano or the Setai would merit something chic. But strolling on Lincoln Road and finding a spot to eat and people watch can be done easily in flip flops and a beachy look. You can wrap a pareo around your swimsuit and stop at any bar on Ocean Drive and order something festive. No problem.

I've been to Vegas and seen drunken, smoking people stagger around in a haze at all hours. It is not like that here. They don't smoke. No - I am kidding! There is a laid back atmosphere all the time but it's not a zombie convention.

I suggest you guys bring one "better" outfit (he is SO buying you a nice birthday dinner and he should ... you know ... shower and stuff before hand...right?) The rest of the trip is summer comfort and beach clothes and sunscreen.

Let me know if you need more details (like that candle lit birthday dinner for 2 on the patio at NEMO...100 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, 33139 - have him call and make a reservation @ (305) 532-4550)

Enjoy!

AG