We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
staffordshire
reviews: 6
Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

I'm taking my children to Miami for one week in March 2013. I really want to take them on a day cruise to the Bahamas. Does anyone know of a reputable company that goes there and the rough estimate of cost? Also, my children want to go to Universal Studios. Are there flights regular from Miami? Any idea how much a day pass into the studios costs? I'd be most grateful for any information.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 104
1. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

There are several companies that do day trips to the Bahamas - Discovery being one of them - I am sure you will get a review on Trip advisor if you look. I don't know how old your children are but 2 years ago friends of ours did the day trip via Ft Lauderdale - they have 2 boys 16 and 14 - they barely had 4 hrs in the Bahamas, found it an awfully long day, once the novelty of being on the ship wore off they all wished that they had stayed on the beach in Miami and spent the money on something else! - But that was just them. They were advertised at $99 but there is port tax etc to pay (with the company that they went with ...) Can't help with flights to Orlando. There's plenty to do for a week in Miami though ;-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
2. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Discovery Cruises has been out of business for quite some time.

staffordshire
3. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

They are 15,12 and 10. Any ideas of the companies that go now? I remember google ing 'discovery' and they had ceased trading.

Orlando
reviews: 2
4. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

I'm curious what you expect to find in the Bahamas that you can't find in the Keys. I personally wouldn't waste my time, but that is just me.

There are numerous flights to Orlando. Once the plane takes off it is under an hour for a flight. By the time you get to the airport early, go through security, and have transportation to and from the airport, you are almost better driving. It takes about four hours one way. Nearly all of the theme parks have one day, adult tickets in the neighborhood of $90 per person. Exact prices can be found on the websites of the various theme parks.

Orlando
5. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Thinking about your wish to go to the Bahamas: If you really want to see another country/island, Grand Cayman is much nicer and also a quick flight.

staffordshire
6. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Thanks for your advice. You are right. It is probably better to go by car, rather than fly. I won't be driving though. I imagine that there will be buses or coaches to orlando? I also imagine its probably cheaper than flying too? Regarding the Bahamas - its just a novelty! We're coming from the UK so its kind of nice to go to the Caribbean while we are there, but I'm getting the impression now that its not worth it?! Grand Cayman may well be worth looking into. I don't know much about it.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
7. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

There is ferry that makes day runs to Freeport not Nassau from Fort Lauderdale- Bahamas Express is the name I believe. It is catamaran based and in rough seas is very slow and many complain about long waits for immigration paperwork to be completed so passengers can disembark , leaving them only 4-5 hours on shore. It has a small cafe and airline style seating. It's the only boat I know of and does more business with Bahmians coming to shop our outlets than tourists going to the Bahamas.

Personally, I feel the same way as other posters about the Bahamas- very expensive and not tourist friendly , unless you count hawkers chasing you aggressively selling cheap souvenirs as friends.

Orlando
8. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Grand Cayman is going to be more expensive, but it is beautiful and (most importantly) safe. You can do a search to look for private companies that do transfers to Orlando and compare the cost with the convenience of flying. It is a long way though (about 240 miles) I would not use the lines like Greyhound. I would stay overnight for a day or two if you are planning on doing theme parks. They will wear you out. Also, March near Easter will be very busy in the theme parks. Maybe look at purchasing a fast pass for Universal and IOA.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 104
9. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Sorry If the info is wrong - only sharing our friends view. They booked a tour via miami nice tours - don't know if thats still in operation ! If so there's plenty of tours to keep your children happy including orlando.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Day cruises from Miami to Bahamas? Flights to Orlando?

Not commenting on Bahamas cruise. But "day trip" to Orlando will be very expensive and a long day. Drive (bus) is 4+ hours each way. After arriving Orlando how will you get to Universal. Tickets for just one Universal park (and there are 2) will be almost $100 per person for adults and those over 9. Then you will still have to get back to bus and then return to Miami! Not a fun day IMHO!