We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MIA hell!

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 66
MIA hell!

Hi just wanted to let you all know that we came through MIA yesterday, (9th August 2012), off the Virgin VS005 flight from London and it was hell. There was a 15 minute walk from the plane to passport control where we waited for over 2 hours! If you had a conecting flight it was tough. There was 1 member of staff managing the international line which was chaos. The passport control officer said that the wait was normal at the moment. After collecting our luggage we had another 10 minute walk to get out of the airport.

I will never fly into MIA again internationally.

Breda, The...
reviews: 110
1. Re: MIA hell!

There will be some reasons for it.

Sorry you had a bad time.

London or any airport can take also hours :-P

Edited: 9:08 am, August 10, 2012
Weert, The...
2. Re: MIA hell!

When flying from Europe, this might be a good idea. We spend some time in Aruba before we went to Miami. Aruba has preclearance and US customs. So no immigration in Miami. Perfect!!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 64
3. Re: MIA hell!

It varies - we have got off that same flight (different day) albeit not very full, and been through immigration and customs in about 20 minutes - and driving a rental car at the RCC within about a hour/hour and a half.

Edited: 9:21 am, August 10, 2012
San Miguel de...
reviews: 37
4. Re: MIA hell!

Drat! And they just invested a skadillion to splash out upgraded facilities with trumpets & everything. What a revolting way to treat our friends. All cheekiness aside, please accept our apologies.

Tampa, Florida
5. Re: MIA hell!

Probably too many flights arriving at the same time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
6. Re: MIA hell!

Shalomy, nice for you but no direct scheduled flights to Aruba from London/uk really. Not a UK colony/territory.

It could be a schedukling conflict (ie a bunch of forieng flights arrving same time) or it could be the new arrivals that has been touted has yet to fully open?

MIA is the US gateway to central/south america and the caribbean. So immigration (and more likely customs) can be very busy just like at Gatwick if you fly in just behind a Jamaica flight.

San Miguel de...
7. Re: MIA hell!

A comic thing happened to me recently at Heathrow. Customs challenged me sharply as to the purpose of my visit and the way I tried to explain myself only raised eyebrows even higher. "I want to visit the war"... here I paused too long. They thought I was in London to help shut the place down and smash windows, I plodded on gathering steam, "war rooms underground in Whitehall where Winston Churchill sought refuge from the Luftwaffe" I continued, to visible sighs of relief all round. Out came the little rubber stampie whatsits and I had two wonderful weeks in which to stay out of trouble. Loverly.

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami
reviews: 3
8. Re: MIA hell!

Actually, if you consider the fact that your particular flight arrived a full hour ahead of schedule, you did pretty well, so im not sure why you are ranting.

Last time I checked, just getting between two terminals at Heathrow takes 20 minutes on the Underground, so you should be used to big airports by now.

San Miguel de...
9. Re: MIA hell!

Still, only one staff member to manage a long snake line at international arrivals....officials should remain alert and flexible to serve the foreign visitors. A sharp manager would have rushed in an additional officer to open another line. Anyway, I know I would have. Not too long ago at MIA I witnessed utterly indifferent and nasty behavior on the part of an employee there. Maybe somebody was asleep at the switch?

Edited: 8:22 am, August 11, 2012
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 6
10. Re: MIA hell!

Some of this is due to the facility being new. I imagine/hope they will adjust the lines and the staff will improve with experience.