We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henley in Arden...
reviews: 57
Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

Hi, I am due to be in Miami in June 2007 and I have secured a condo via a private owner. After paying the deposit to hold the property he has now asked for additional payment prior to arrival as he is leaving the country before we arrive. He has also said not wire the money across to his original account as it has been stopped by lawyers! Even though he has a website and claims he can give me many testimonials from previous renters I am incredibly concerned about the change of payment plan and is insight to his personal circumstances! Can you tell me if adsditional payment upfront is usual and is there anyone I can speak to in Miami to see if this gut is legitimate?

Thanks

charlotte,nc
1. Re: Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

I don't live in miami but the sound crazy , i would do a check on him and his condo. I would tell him that he can meet you there when you arrive to get the money or when you get down there them you will send him the money to where ever he's going, if he dont like that then tell him that you want your deposite back unless it's non-refundable. don't trust everyone. That really sound crazy

Henley in Arden...
reviews: 57
2. Re: Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

Thanks Sweethoneycharlotte, it does sound crazy to me too but wasn't sure if patment prior was normal practice. It makes no sense!

Cheers

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
3. Re: Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

Sounds like a scam.....Miami is full of them...

I had a friend rent a house in AZ for a week, owner called them at the last minute and told them he needed more money from them because his "partner" wouldn't let him rent it for that price....they had to scramble to find accomodations AFTER they landed! Turns out he pulls this stunt numerous times, and "rents" the place to several people at a time....the fact that this guy is "Leaving Town" would scare me....

I'd beware....

4. Re: Private Vaction Penthouse Rental Payment Issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 01, 2009