We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seashells

Which Melbourne Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawley, Pennsylvania
reviews: 29
seashells

Where can I find seashells near Melbourne Beach. Thank you Joyce

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 86
1. Re: seashells

Are you actually staying in Melbourne beach or are you staying in Indialantic at one of the chain hotels? Melbourne beach will have some shells along the high tide line, go to the beach during low tide and you will find some along the waters edge. We have a reef system offshore so many of the larger shells are broken. However you will find some scallop shells, periwinkles and a few others. We just don't have all the really cool shells they get over on the gulf coast. In the Indialantic area there will be fewer shells because the rocks are closer to the beach and at the boardwalk there are so many more people to pick up the good ones.

There are several county parks along A1A in Melbourne Beach, you can pull into any one of those and walk the beach and find a few shells. This is also the are for turtle watching once the season starts.

Hawley, Pennsylvania
2. Re: seashells

Thank you for your reply. We are not staying in Melbourne Beach, but in Kissimmee. We will be heading to Melbourne for two days and will go shelling then. When does turtle season begin? I would love to see that if I could. I do know the rules for watching, since my sister lives in a "turtle" area on Topail Island NC. I however have never been there during the season. Thank you once again for the information. Joyce

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 86
3. Re: seashells

Here is a link to one of the preservation society groups. They have turtle walks. The main season is in June & July but they start coming in late May and sometimes all the way into August.http://www.seaturtlespacecoast.org/volunteer-activites/turtle-walks/

If you come across highway 192 it ends at the boardwalk at Indialantic. This is the main beach area. If you head south to Melbourne Beach you will find the county parks about 5 miles down. They are several a few miles apart until you get to the Sebastian Inlet. You will also see the Archie Carr Turtle preservation building on the left not far from Sebastian Inlet.

There are also some parks to the north of the boardwalk. A pretty nice one is about 4 miles north. There is a traffic light and I think a Walgreens on the corner across the street. We mostly head south as my DH likes to surf fish and Mel Bch is good place for that. The first beach access in Melbourne beach is just after the traffic light by the library. Limited parking but near a few restaurants and you might find some shelling there.

Hawley, Pennsylvania
4. Re: seashells

Thank you once again, you have been a great help. I will probably miss the turtles since we are going in the middle of May. We are going fishing in the Ocala area and hope to catch some bass. I'm getting excited for my trip to Kissimmee and to Melbourne beach. Joyce

5. Re: seashells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, April 27, 2015