We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

Which Melbourne Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 5
Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

mynews13.com/content/….Uzm9yOG_ma0.facebook

18 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
1. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

Here's a newsflash -- there are sharks everywhere -- even off of Boston.

But these folks say it far more eloquently than I can: http://www.factmonster.com/spot/sharks1.html

What Are My Chances of an Attack?

-- In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack.

-- Bees, wasps, and snakes kill more people each year than sharks.

-- Drowning, heart attacks, beach accidents resulting in spinal injury, sunburn, cuts from stepping on sea shells, dehydration, jellyfish stings, and traffic accidents going to or from the beach are all far more common than shark attacks.

-- Between 1990 and 2009, there were 15,011 bicycle fatalities, compared with only 14 deaths due to shark attack. In 2009 alone, there were 630 deaths due to bicycles and 1 shark-related fatality.

-- Between 1985 and 2009, there were 1,583 tornadoes in the state of Florida, which resulted in 125 deaths. Florida waters witnessed 485 shark attacks and 5 fatalities.

-- Between 1990 and 2006, 16 people died as a result of sand hole collapse, while 11 fatalities were attributed to shark attacks during the same time period.

Boston...
2. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

I'd like to have seen you take your list of statistics and jump in that water today....hey, the odds would be in your favor

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

I've been swimming within sight of sharks for decades, and have even been close enough to pet a few....what, exactly, is the issue? They are overwhelmingly NOT maneaters, and in fact are quite shy.

They are also an integral part of the ocean food chain, and we need to ensure their survival.

Boston...
4. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

they may not be maneaters but most people prefer not to swim among them when they are so close to shore...hence the newscast and warnings. However, don't let that stop you from petting the shy guys

Tampa, Florida
5. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

Don't want to listen to me? How about the website from the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission -- the link right on the page from the news article you linked:

myfwc.com/research/…

"Humans are much more of a danger to sharks than vice versa."

Tampa, Florida
6. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

and we'll go a little further....the article states that there were two red flags flying at the beach -- that means that I (and any prudent person) wouldn't have been in the water -- not because of the sharks, but because the wind and waves are too dangerous for anyone to swim, and the beach is closed.

…state.fl.us/cmp/…WarningFlagSign.pdf

Do note that if there were too many sharks, the flag would have been purple -- the red-over-red is for dangerous surf and rip currents.

(It was very, very windy today -- we just had a pretty major front go through, and so the wind and the waves were far too high to swim safely)

Boston...
7. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

Excuses, excuses...what are the statistics on people dying from wind and waves vs. bikes, tornadoes, sand holes, traffic accidents, etc. etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
8. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

This event happens most years, the sharks congregate. But sometimes it happens earlier in t he year when less people are swimming.

Orlando
reviews: 2
9. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

I need to get some bait!! I'm going over there on Saturday. LOL

It is not uncommon to see things like that in spring, but you usually hear more about it in the New Smyrna area. There is a rocky ledge just offshore in that area. Turtles feed there in the summer. Sharks do too. It is part of nature.

I didn't read how far from the surf zone they were, but the drop off near the ledge would put you in water close to or over your head anyway. Unlike Carmela, I have been in that area several times. God forbid, I have actually been swimming there.

Use common sense y'all. If you see bait pods and fins, maybe stay out of the water for a bit? That doesn't mean forever.

Bloomington...
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
reviews: 30
10. Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

Remember "Jaws"? That was in Massachusetts, not Florida! :)

Down here, the more dangerous side of the beach is the highway side, not the water side. Just as you wouldn't walk out in front of an oncoming vehicle, I wouldn't wade into a patch of fins, but living on the beach, we don't see sharks very often. I haven't personally seen a fin -- that is confirmed as a shark's -- in all my years here, although I'm sure they are occasionally there. There are a lot of dolphins, and sometimes tourists mistake them for sharks. Recently, we looked out and saw a "right whale" mother and calf very close to shore.

And Carmela, I know that you survived your stay in Cocoa Beach without a nip (at least, the fish type).

Reply to: Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted