We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. James City FL
reviews: 23
Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

My husband and I are active retirees (from NW Ohio) with two indoor, declawed, well-trained, perfectly behaved adult kitties. We found a cat-friendly rental this winter on the west coast of Florida, but would like to spend next winter (January through April) in the Melbourne/Viera/Melbourne Beach/Satellite Beach/Indiatlantic area. Does anybody know of any furnished seasonal rentals that would accommodate 2 cats, or of a property management agency that might help us find such a rental? Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 83
1. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

I would check with www.vrbo.com first. There are loads of realtors / property management companies but not sure if many handle short term rentals. Most require 6 or 7 months as the shortest. You might try Re-Max, they are a very large company and have offices in many locations. Century 21 is another one. (I have 3 cats so I sympathize with you.)

I see you have St. James City, Fl as a residence. I have spent some time over there a few years ago. Love the area. Have stayed at Tarpon Lodge on Pine Island too. Really great places if you want off the beaten path.

St. James City FL
2. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

Hi! Thanks for the ideas! We have lived on Pine Island for the past 4 years, and the novelty is about worn off. It definitely is "off the beaten path" lol. Some of our closest neighbors are cows :-)

We've never stayed at the Tarpon Lodge, but their restaurant is our "go-to" on-island special occasion dining spot

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
3. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

Is Jackies still there at ST. James City? I loved that place for breakfast. I agree, I don't think I would want to live there, it's great to visit and we used to have boats so it was perfect. Some friends of ours have a place in SJC but they don't stay there full time either.

Hope you have some luck finding your rental. If you should decide on Melbourne, once you find a location I can let you know if its in a good area or not. Most of Viera, Sat Beach and Indialantic are good, Melbourne has good and bad area and avoid Palm Bay completely.

St. James City FL
4. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

The saga of Jackie's:

She sold the business to a young couple who remodeled the building then tried to make it into a little upscale bistro. It was pretty good, but they broke up so the business closed. Somebody else bought it then, renamed it "Hobo's" and brought Jackie back to cook. While we were away for the summer, that went out of business and the building became a real estate office. Now Jackie is the breakfast cook at the old "Mulletville" in Matlacha, which for awhile was called Barnhill's. TMI? sorry, lol

I love the Viera wetlands...I think if we decided to buy up there we'd def look at Viera!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
5. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

LOL, I just was on the Florida Keys forum and same thing. Mentioned a couple places we used to go to all the time and they are gone too. We don't get over that way much anymore since we sold our boats. Have some friends on St. James but they have been renting their place out instead of staying there. We spend all our time doing antique car shows now so don't go to the gulf coast or to the keys much anymore.

St. James City FL
6. Re: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?

What's that old saying? The second best day of your life is the day you get your boat, but the best day is the one where you get rid of it? We live on this boating island and sometimes I rent a kayak. lol

Reply to: Cat Friendly Seasonal Rental for Winter 2015?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted