We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A1A drive Melbourne to Port Canaveral

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 93
A1A drive Melbourne to Port Canaveral

Hows the drive from Melbourne to Port Canaveral (cruise port) on a Thursday late morning in January?

Heading north and stopping at a hotel right off I95 in Melbourne on a Wed. night (mid January), then assumed a drive on A1A would be more scenic the rest of the way. Should I cross over to A1A on 192 or go north a bit and cross over on 518?

Will I have a view of the ocean on this section of A1A or is there a parallel block I need to be on. Is there anything of interest I should stop and see along the way? We've already done Kennedy Space Center, so we will just be killing some time in the morning before boarding our cruise.

1 reply
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 82
1. Re: A1A drive Melbourne to Port Canaveral

1st - What hotel did you choose? If it is not the Hampton or the Holiday Inn I would be very wary of any of the others out there. A lot of drug traffic goes on in some of those other places. You are only about 5 to 8 minutes south of the 518. Either route is fine as you will miss the working people traffic. Its about 15 minutes from 1-95 to A1A. From 192 you will pass thru Indialantic which is where the few beachside hotels we have are located. There is a boardwalk at the end of 192 where it meets A1A if you want a quick look at the beach. You really won't be able to see the beach on the drive up but to me its less boring than I-95.

Once north of Indialantic you will pass thru Indian Harbour Beach (the Scrambled egg located here is good for breakfast or lunch), then Satellite Beach. After that you will pass Patrick Air Force Base. Not much to see nowadays., They used to have a really large rocket display there. About 10 minutes from there you will be in Cocoa Beach then Port Canaveral. Total trip about 45 minutes unless you make a couple of stops. (Slow and Low BBQ in Cocoa Beach is good for lunch too. Cocoa Beach pier is popular for a place to walk out and see the ocean and some fisherman along the pier.

Reply to: A1A drive Melbourne to Port Canaveral
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted