We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
reviews: 12
Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Hi Everyone

We arrived home to the UK from Florida yesterday, we spend the first 6 nights of our holiday in Marco Island having only been to Orlando on previous holidays.

Well, what a revelation, we absolutely loved it, so different from Orlando in a very good way. The people were so friendly, we just fell in love and even talked about possibly buying a place there in the future. We stayed on the north end of the island in Dove Court in a beautiful villa with a boat dock, had dolphins swimming around one day, my husband went fishing, got a bit scared at the teeth of some of those fish!!!! LOL. We rented a boat and went to Keywaadin Island, think I may have spelt that incorrectly, but anyway, what a beautiful place, we all agreed that it was the best day of our whole holiday. We rented from Cedar Bay Boats, they were brilliant, so friendly and gave us a big summer discount, what lovely people.

The food was a bit disappointing, think we may have made some bad choices, we went to Capt Brien's - average at best and not a very friendly waitress, Porkys - the smallest rack of ribs we had ever seen, it must a been a piglet, wouldn't recommend, Arturos, this was very pleasant, although a bit tomatoey, Margaritas, yuck, the worst place and meal we have ever had in America, then lastly CJ's which we really enjoyed, lovely people, setting and food, wish we had gone there first, we would probably have gone back.

Steve O's taxis, can't remember the name of the company, were brilliant, we met Steve and two of his sons, all really nice guys, effiecient and helpful.

We went to Naples, weren't as impressed as we thought we would be and were more than happy that we had chosen Marco to stay in out of the two.

We dearly hope we will get back there some day soon, missing it like crazy and there was many a day when we were in Orlando, that we said "wish we were back in Marco". For anyone heading out there soon, I am very envious, but have a wonderful time.

Jo

Edited: 12:21 pm, August 19, 2012
Knoxville
reviews: 7
1. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Thanks for the review, we love hearing of others' experiences at times when we can't be there ourselves! We fell in love with Marco about 8 years ago and we spend at least a month on the island each year. One day, my husband and I plan to retire in Marco. Next time you visit, you'll need to try some other restaurants, like Marker 8. There are some great eateries, but like any place, you have some not so great ones as well. We LOVE Keeywaydin too - boating is definitely one of the best things about Marco!!:)

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
2. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Next visit ...

Top Rate Marco Restaurants ... with higher prices, white table cloth ... in my favorite order

- Sal E Pepe

- Verdi's

- Da Vinci

- Blue Herron

You can go to Naples and they have many many many white table cloth restaurants .... but Marco has as many as I can go to in a 2 week trip.

Thanks for coming back and sharing the good and bad of Marco.

Knoxville
3. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Just so you know, Marker 8 is the OPPOSITE of the restaurants listed above. We don't want anything formal (on vacation, or otherwise) or expensive! If you want hole in the wall with great food & friendly, laid back people, then Marker 8 should fit the bill!!:)

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 9
4. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Hi JMB40,

Thanks for the post. We are going there for the first time in September. Like you we have only ever been to Orlando. Really looking forward to it as it will be so different. Your restaurant review are very interesting and helpful. Any thoughts on bars for a nice drink or any suggestions on shopping - my wife likes to shop! We are staying in the South Collier Blvd. end. Finally is there anything else we must do when we are there!!

Fidelma 1

NY
reviews: 8
5. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

We are new owners and just learning the ropes ourselves! We love CJ's too. There are so many restaurants it is difficult to choose! Mango's was good as was the Marco Brewery, Cocomos for lunch, Sunset Grill. Snook Inn is fun but the food is only fair. The restaurant reviews on trip advisor have been very helpful.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
reviews: 165
6. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Marcomamma - couldn't agree with you more about the restaurants.

JMB40 - so glad you had a great vacation on MI. We love it too. It's such a beautiful place. Keewaydin is fantastic. We first went there in about '94 and we called it "the secret beach". No one was there. The secret beach is not so secret anymore but is beyond incredibly beautiful.

Feel the same way you do about Captain Brien's and Margarita's. Haven't been to Porky's for many years. But there are several other informal, casual, flip flop friendly spots we enjoy. Hope you get back to MI soon!

Weston, Florida
7. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

we had the best time at the Marriott Resort; service was impeccable, food was delicious, the pools were so much fun - but I am pretty sure it was crawling with bed bugs. we are all victims of red spots all over our bodies. could have been sand fleas....but I am leaning towards bed bugs based on the "3 in a row pattern". Big Big bummer, to say the least....

London, United...
reviews: 43
8. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

JMB 40, glad you enjoyed Marco. We found it almost by accident, over 20 years ago. Could only stay a few days, but returned later that year so that I could get it out of my system. It didn't work that way, and we've been back most years since. Many changes, but we still love it.

Southren girrr... Have stayed at the Marriott many times, and have NEVER had a problem with any aspect of cleanliness or hygene there. Do hope you mentioned it to management so they could check and treat if problem found!

Newark, DE
reviews: 15
9. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Seems like Margaritas never gets a good review, and it is definitely one of our favs in Marco Island, especially when comparing Mexican food. It's the first place we want to go back. Inlaws have a condo on the beach in Marco and we've been trying to go each fall since we are empty nesters now.

Essex
reviews: 12
10. Re: Just back from Florida and Our 1st Marco Trip

Fidelma 1

We didn't get time for any shopping i'm afraid, the only shop we went to on the island was Publix and the bait shop, and we have kids so didn't really do the bar thing. However, there was a lovely bar at the Esplanade, next to CJ's that looks a lovely place for a cocktail in the evening.

I forgot to mention that we had lunch in the Snook Inn, couldn't not as it seems so famous. It was very pleasant for lunch and the food was good enough for lunch, but probably not an evening place for us. It was very hot though because we sat outside and we had melted by the time we had finished our meal. We had a very friendly server, and we were glad we had given it a go.

I wish we had had longer on Marco, hopefully next time, I think we would quite like to do half our holiday there and then maybe try the Keys for the other half and not bother with Orlando at all. Wish I Was There.

Jo