We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goodland?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 8
Goodland?

My husband and I are heading back to Marco Island next week. We didn't make it over to Goodland last month and we aren't sure what there is to do/see over there in August. The only thing we've read about was the Sunday gathering at Stan's (which apparently takes a break during the summer). Any recommendations or should we just wait until February when things are in full swing??

Knoxville
reviews: 7
1. Re: Goodland?

I would take a drive to Goodland if I were you (it's only about a ten minute drive), if only to drive around and take in the sights. It is a very interesting fishing village in which you can't tell the difference between the bums and millionaires. There is even a toilet yard, where the owner has about 20 toilets in the yard! Such an interesting place . . . you don't need much to do there!! We LOVE Marker 8 - it looks like a hole in the wall, but has AWESOME food and a great atmosphere.

Edited: 7:48 pm, August 07, 2012
NY
2. Re: Goodland?

I do remember reading about marker 8. I'll search for a website. Sounds like it may be worth the ride over. Thanks :)

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
reviews: 165
3. Re: Goodland?

You should definitely go to Goodland. It's basically just the "other " end of Marco. Fabulous southwest FL diamond in the rough. Nothing like it. You can have a cold one at Marker 8, Little Bar, Old Marco Crab Lodge (if they're open). If not, just cruise around, up and down some of the side streets. Check out the houses.

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 4
4. Re: Goodland?

Little Bar Restaurant on Goodland is well worth the trip. Make a reservation! Stan's is closed unfortunately. Little Bar is still worth the 10 minute drive!

NY
5. Re: Goodland?

Little bar closed July, August, and September according to their website. We'll take a drive over and have a look around. We'll be back in February and March so we can experience things in season.

Thanks again for your help!

Knoxville
6. Re: Goodland?

If you're okay with casual, you'll love Marker 8. We liked (not loved, but liked) the food at Little Bar, but we won't be going back because of the prices.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
7. Re: Goodland?

Goodland is a scream ... my highlights ... I visit every Marco trip:

- driving around and viewing the lawn art and small fishing industry

- great food at the Little Bar

- great music at the Little Bar

- Stan's Sunday afternoon .... then sleeping, recovering, and missing dinner that night

- great view of the river and cheap beers at the Marco Lodge - Crab Shack

- I'm going to take that big air boat some day into the Everglades

Goodland reminds me of Yellow Springs Ohio .... an eclectic group of people ... doing their own thing. I have heard music is played under the Marco Bridge near the water tank on the weekends, BYOI ... bring your own instrument.

Edited: 10:12 pm, August 09, 2012
Knoxville
8. Re: Goodland?

Oh yeah, I've heard about the music, too! Such an odd, appealing place!!:)

NY
9. Re: Goodland?

ooh, now I'm excited!! Too bad little bar is closed. We will definitely take a ride over and check it out! We have not really experienced the Island "in season" yet. We just bought our place this past April after spending only 4 days there. Yes, first time there, 4 days, fell in love with it and bought our own slice of heaven! We spent 3 weeks at the end of June getting the lay of the land. There is still so much to see!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Albany, New York
reviews: 4
10. Re: Goodland?

We went at the end of June. It was interesting to ride around. But it was dead. Stan had recently passed away, so Stan's was closed. Little Bar was closed. And we didn't see Marker 8.