We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Which has less crowds, better beach, more lush & scenic? Which has less high rise hotels?

Cleveland, Ohio
11. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Do you like Marco better than Sanibel?

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
reviews: 2
12. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Sometimes we have a young alligator that hangs around our dock in the Summer. Makes for interesting phone calls. Something like this,

Guests,

"Randy, there is an alligator by your dock"

Randy, "OK"

Guests,

"What should we do? Should we call somebody"

Randy , "No just leave it alone, don't feed it and don't hang you feet over the edge of the dock."

Randy

Cleveland, Ohio
13. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

When you say alligator by the dock, do

you mean Marco Island?

Leicester, United...
reviews: 29
14. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

hmmm I think Randy of MarcoHomes is based on Marco Island.!

It isnt a case of liking MI or sanibel - they both have their own special features.

Our family really like MI..its family friendly- it's feels so safe-we quite hapy walking there at night (the only thing that gets me are the mosi's)..altho the island is mainly older people (thats my understanding before anyone shouts) during their "season"Oct-may... When we've visited "out of season" July - there has always been a good mixture of age groups... we stay at the Hilton and theres often group of "older" teenagers/maybe early 20's.plus youngsters , wrinkleys and crinkleys...there is high rise accomodation but the waterways and beautiful homes make up for this...

On Sanibel -different altogether...again July we visited stayed at the west wings... ur daughter was 14yr... only two/three kids her age, some younger ones...she felt we had taken her to a retirement home!.. when we drove around the island - and there is alot to do /see (we were there for 10 days) we hardly saw any young/middleage adults... felt safe there BUT would not walk anywhere.... likely to bump into an alligator... our daughter became a real good loook out and would spot them even at nigght! in pond or

Leicester, United...
reviews: 29
15. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

sorry had to go for a sec...

in ponds or at the edge of peoples property in the dykes...great fun alligator spotting providing you are in a car! This island is scenic..

Restaurants seemed to close earlier than marco...but we would and willgo back when daughter isnt travelling with us and visit the island with friends of the same age as us.

Good luck with making your choice....

Why not do both for a few days???

The drive between the two is comparatively short....

Please let us know what you decide to do...

Cleveland, Ohio
16. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Haven't decided, but heard Longboat has very nice beaches, too.

I'm sure Randy of MarcoHomes is based on Marco Island, but who knows... anyone can be based in Marco, but might also have a dock or rental

in Sanibel, also.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
reviews: 2
17. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Marco homes is on Marco.....

Randy

Cleveland, Ohio
18. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

I looked @ photos of Marco & Longboat.

Both look nice, however I read that Marco has MORE high rise hotels. In my opinion,

too many high rise hotels take away the charm from the beach, and I look for "pristine beaches."

Oh, & I don't want my legs getting bit by alligators!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
reviews: 167
19. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

Hi 2Sun: There are only 3 highrise hotels on Marco and one I wouldn't describe as high rise (Marco Beach Resort). The rest of the island is all residential homes and condos. While there are many high rises, the beach is still great and is not very crowded so it doesn't have an overwhelming feel at all.

20. Re: Marco Island, Longboat Key or Naples?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 20, 2009